Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you recommend a suitable coop for 4 Buff Orpingtons?  (Read 3599 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Can you recommend a suitable coop for 4 Buff Orpingtons?
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »
I am just about to inherit 4 BO's!  :)

At the moment they are living in a home-made coop in a back garden, which has been made out of pallets (not very well) and is not transferable to their new home due to being cemented to the floor  ::).

I've been looking online and am considering this:

http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/10/productid/1473

but would welcome other suggestions - and no - I'm not inclined to 'build my own'!!

Thanks

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Can you recommend a suitable coop for 4 Buff Orpingtons?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:11:15 pm »
The first coop I bought was from this company and I was not impressed by the standard. However, if you only ever plan on 4 birds and don't increase this they are ok for the job.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:10:07 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Planning on a few more than 4 so I'll keep looking! :farmer:

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:19 pm »
I also purchased my 1st coup from here. Build quality is ok (bit flimsey :-\) and just about big enough. Run they recommended and sent for 16 hens is 3 x 5 feet! :o As a complete novice I will make this mistake once. Will build a bigger and stronger house myself now I know what they look like.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:33 am »
I've had Forsham Cottage Arks (2) - expensive but very well built - and Gradencraft again very well built. I've also got another two but I can't remember where form but I woudln't recommend them if I could.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:28:31 am »
If it is any help, I have a 6' x 4' normal garden shed.  From this I have a run attached.  My guys seems very happy in it.  When it is raining there is enough room for them to have a walk around.  Their perch goes diagonal to give them enough room.  I have a floor over the area where the boxes are for laying.  Still no eggs - still a bit young.  I did look at the specially built houses, but was put off by the expense and the smallness of them.  Don't forget that if the coop is very small, you will have to muck out every other day to stop the ammonia building up from their poop.  Hope this is a help.  PS you can also use the height of the house for storage.  Put in a false floor and store their bedding underneath.  Just a thought.  Ros   :cat: :chook:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:30:11 am »
I bought mine from flyte so fancy.  A bit more expensive, but the quality is exceptional.  I can highly recommend them.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:26:48 pm »
Thanks all.
I've decided on a much bigger coop (almost garden shed size but not quite!)
Hopefully the girls will be moving in as soon as we've moved to our new house - forget unpacking - the first thing we'll be doing is building the coop and moving the girls in (bit of a rescue mission!)
 :chook:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »
some of ours have similar to what Ros describes, and the ex-batts have much lower coops.  Definitely recommend the shed!  Easier for cleaning (still bang my head sometimes though!) storing and I have an unproven theory that if (heaven forbid) they get red mite, then they'll be too blooming knackered to walk down every night to feed off the chickens as he ceiling's too high!
Little Blue

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »
I've got several arks, a house on stilts,  both hard work to clean and finally opted for a 6x8 shed.
Easy to clean and the birds thinks it is great.
I am going to buy a smaller one for our new pure breeds to keep them separate.
It's all trial and error and what suits one, doesn't suit another.

Best of luck with your newbees
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS