Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st calf (dexter), any tips?  (Read 3193 times)

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
1st calf (dexter), any tips?
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:30:07 pm »
Had my first calf today from my non short dexter, i wasnt sure she was in calf (more of sheepy kinda guy) but we have a little heifer calf. I've brought them in as it's a bit nippy out tonight. Calf has had some milk, but not sure how much so gave her some from as bottle just in case. Mums got plenty of water, cake and hay. I'm a bit anxious as I'm fine with lambing but new to calving so just treating them as big black sheep at the moment!
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: 1st calf (dexter), any tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:36 am »
 :wave: sounds like u got it covered.i wouldnt bother with bottle if calfs been in sooking . put some iodine on navel . dont ring its tail  :roflanim:

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:05:52 am »
Thanks, I was a bit worried as cows never look as full as sheep so got my mate round who good some experience with them and he reckons she should be OK  ;D I don't think she would appreciate being banded!
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:37:46 am »
Like you we'd had sheep for ages before we got cattle and their behaviour is quite different, I find. So not a big black sheep. That's what freaked me  ;D

After calving, our cows and calves have a wee sleep before getting on with feeding ::)

And calves sleep a lot. They'll maybe only feed every four - five hours. In the wild, the cow would feed the calf, then lay it up in long grass and go off to graze.

Watch to see if she's peeing (must be taking liquid), pooing and he belly isn't clapped in.

Two years ago I had such a panic about a calf I got the vet out. I never saw him feed and his mother had such a huge udder it never looked like it had been sooked. He was fine and this year I was much more chilled.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:53 am »
Lots colostrum in first 6 hours same as sheep (2 litres for large breed).  Otherwise spray navel and leave alone.....  and take lots of pics .... where are they????
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:28:52 pm »
Thanks guys, not figured out how to post pics yet, but I'll take some more tonight. How long till I leave them out do you think?
BIG Ben

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:09:34 pm »
Dexters shouldn't need to be in really (unless snowing ... and hope its not doing that yet anywhere!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »
It was 1.6 C last night near here and the calf was still damp, I'll pop her out tomorrow morning then, thanks!
BIG Ben

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS