Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mineral lick for sheep  (Read 4339 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Mineral lick for sheep
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:01:48 pm »
Hi,
When we got our Ouessants the very nice people we bought them from gave me lots of helpful instructions including giving them a yellow mineral lick, which we have done, we bought a yellow Rockies lick.
They don't seem to be touching it though, so now I'm worrying that they will be missing out nutritionally. Is there another lick that they'd like better?
I have a sticky, treacly lick that I bought for my pygmy goats, I think it's a general horse lick and not specific for goats as I know they need copper and sheep mustn't have it, but they really seem to like it much more than their red Rockies lick which they also have.
Should I give my sheep a similar lick, maybe a stronger smelling treacley lick too? Or will they lick the yellow Rockies if they need it?
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Mineral lick for sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »
My pygmys and sheep both get yellow rockies
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:26:52 pm »
Seriously not a fan of any ad-lib minerals ,(  most is quickly excreted )   as they have to taste good so the animal eats lots and then we think they need it , rockies are mostly salt yum yum  .   Your sheep are obviously happy and getting all they need from your  grass.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:13:07 pm »
We use yellow Rockies and they do use it. At certain times of the year - run up to and during tupping and around lambing, we use Crystalyx buckets but they are mollassed - the sheep love them; in fact I think some may get slightly addicted - but mine sure don't need the additional calories for most of the year.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:59 am »
I've stopped using mineral tubs and switched to using Lump Rock Salt (the pink stuff).  Its full of minerals and is also a source of salt (obviously).  Oh and it's a good Orf preventative.
Stuff like this: [size=78%]http://www.ballofmadley-hereford.co.uk/[/size]
Don't buy the horse ones on a rope (over priced), get a bulk bag (min 25kg). Most agri places will sell it.

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:22 am »
My lambs like the mineral yellow lick but the ewes do not bother. I was worried about my ponies licking it as only for sheep but they hate it also :-\ I am going to get a red bucket one for autumn and just put in when ponies are stabled at night or one will have a feast :yum: Like the idea of the rock salt for Orf has my 3 bottled ones got Orf this time and passed it on to me  :( Never thought about not buying the horse ones so great advice received  :sheep: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS