Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing flowers commercially  (Read 9820 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Growing flowers commercially
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:12:13 pm »
Being a 'New Man' and a fantastic hubby I buy my wife a lot of flowers. I'm also pretty loyal so I ALWAYS use the same florist (who in turn is very good to me). I'm not quite on a par with Elton John but I definitely buy more than the average (and for the right reasons rather than as an 'apology' LOL!)
Its our anniversary tomorrow so I went in to get a nice bouquet and got talking to Sharon about the fact I've got more land than I can manage while also keeping an eye on my daughter and running 2 businesses. She mentioned that in keeping with the fact that locally sourced products are more ecologically sound she'd buy as many flowers as I can bring her...
Can anyone give me any tips on where to start? I know she'll buy roses, lillies, tulips, sweetpeas etc. but are there any particular strains that are more suited to this end?
Any help would be appreciated.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Growing flowers commercially
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:23:35 am »
Theft is the answer........ (or research if you prefer)

Personally it sounds like a highly labour intensive project,but,could be quite profitable if you have the time. Why not go back to Sharon and ask for a list of strains of flowers that she'd buy from you. Maybe she'd be interested in a joint venture Or,look on Interflora and note the names and strains of flowers that they use in bouquets etc. I had a quick look and they are selling a Luxury Gift Wrapped Lavender Plant for 24.99  :o :o :o

They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:18:04 am »
You could have  a look at Sarah Ravens' "Cutting Garden" book - not sure what the full title is. It will probably have suitable varieties, growing methods, timings and stuff. Her "Great Vegetable Plot" book is good, so the cut flower one should be too. She had a series of articles in "Country Living" magazine last year I think, giving planting pplans and varieties to give flowers for cutting almost all year.

Good luck with this.

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:58:11 pm »
Growing cut flowers is pretty labour intensive.Have you thought about growing the greenery needed as backbone to displays,bouquets.Im thinking ferns,evergreen shrubs and perrenials.You could always supplement with some very fragrant varieties of sweet pea or other stuff not normally seen.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »
I grow spray chrysanthemums in pots sunk into the ground leaving a 5 inch gap in which I pop a gladioli bulb. Although its not commercial as we give the cut flowers to charity stalls and the local WI for fundraising they are always good sellers. in between each row I plant brassicas so they are hidden from pigeons
Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:27:12 pm »
Now that's smart thinking! Do the flowers deter the caterpillars as well?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:33:22 pm »
The hens and ducks march up and down like the housegaurds at buckingham very few catapillers (or butterflys) get past them
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS