Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are these petrol multitool strimmer/hedge trimmer things any good?  (Read 39161 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Do you know what I mean?  These tools that you can change from a strimmer to a chainsaw to a hedgetrimmer and extend.  Are they any good?  Does anyone have any experience of them?  I've put an example below from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/34cc-ZMX330-LONG-REACH-HEDGE-TRIMMER-CHAINSAW-STRIMMER_W0QQitemZ170399266843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item27ac96781b

chickenfeed

Re: Are these petrol multitool strimmer/hedge trimmer things any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:36 am »
 ;)hi we looked it to them it all depends on how much work you are going to use it for we have a very large hedge that takes a good days work about 4 times a year and loads of logging & strimming to do so we were told for us to buy one it would be like breaking rocks with a toffee hammer as so much work would put a strain on one engine rather than a few engines so we brought each item as a induvidual item.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
That was exactly what I had been wondering.  I am a gardener so would be using them on an almost daily basis at certyain times of the year.

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:48 pm »
Hi

I have a Ryobi 30cc power unit wi strimmer + the following Soneva attachments - brush cutter, long reach chainsaw and hedgetrimmer.

Brushcutter fine, the long reach chainsaw and hedgetrimmer can be quite heavy once they have been held for a while. My view is that they are OK for intermittent use as they provide a competitive option  to either hiring or buying each item, but not for day in day out use.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:09:02 pm »
OK thanks for that

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:48:06 pm »
hello Miri I was talking to my brother in law today he bought a Ryobi Multi last year He claims its very usefull but don't expect to much from the cultivator head its a grand to instead of a hoe to weed with but thats its limit it won't rotovate a foot deep or things like that.But for the money its a good toolThe hedge trimmer and strimmer works great
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:05 pm »
Hi Wizard, its the hedge trimmer and strimmer I am interested so what you've written makes interesting reading.  I have been trying to find something I can use for work that is light enout for me.  I have used a 4.3kg Stihl petrol on hedges, which is fine until I have to stretch and then I don't have the strength to hold and control it properly. I need something that is powerful, but light.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:52:05 am »
hello ,i too am a gardener and to tell you the truth they are not really any good for daily use,i also got ryobi stuff and im going up to stilh stuff ,having a hard time getting spare parts for the ryobi, passed from pillar to post and cant get a straight answer.went to glee and ryobi pass me from department to department.at least with stihl you can get parts.and they last longer.i got aseason from my strimmer.engine ok but the knob to hold the spool in wore off  and the head as well.i cant afford to spend a copule of hundred pound to throw away each year.id try to hire the model you would like to buy first .i tried different ones cos me and machinery dont get on i cant start a lot of it  ;), but  thats why i have staff
also the glee has the different models ect at the show spo you can see what each is like there.bit of  a trek tho

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »
I agree Scatty but why bother with Stihl go Husqvana the hedge trimmer to fit on your existing Ryobi Ext is around £55 a Stihl is £280 and Husqvana is £345 for 2ft cut It all depends how deep your pocket is and I believe Husqvana are top of the range tools I had a Husqvana Chain Saw indestructible The Oregon chain is no better than any one else's though :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »
 sigh  i would love husky tools but my pockets are deep and empty..............

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 08:48:51 pm »
I have a small landscaping business and would recommend separate tools and equipment for different tasks. if the main body engine of multi tool fails then it will put all all your equipment out of action. I also have a mate who runs a garden maintenance business in Essex and he had a Ryobi multi fail on him and swears never to go down that route again.

Painful but always best to buy the best quality you can afford. We have several Stihl tools (hedgecutter, vac/blower, saw, brushcutter) and they've been hammered most days and have never failed.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »
personally would avoid cheaper makes as usually trouble and not reliable in the long run also spares issues as already mentioned, stihl, husqvarna has never let me down.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 01:57:14 pm »
OK thanks

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:01:04 am »
I have a stihl multitool I have the km130 top of the range its a four stroke engine but still has the 2stroke mix its the nuts I swear by it its never let me down. I have a contract for maintanence on a cemetry and I use this for the strimming and hedging.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 09:18:02 am »
Hello Gary As I have said Husqvana - Pioneer - Stihl.Lead the field. If you are a bit old and doddery like me with a pocket handkerchief size garden Buy a Ryobi they are brilliant little tools.They are not made for continuous work though.If you only want to rotovate consider a "Mantis" Lady Yarborough's Head Gardener has one for the Cool frames and Glasshouse beds. Brilliant tool.They have a web site with that name :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS