Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Landrover Series IIa Help please  (Read 23495 times)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Landrover Series IIa Help please
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »
theres a landy place in chesterfield. the guy is neil biggin and knows all there is to kow. give him a call, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »

Mrs Womble and I are very jealous of you, even if it won't start!

We were at the dealer's eyeing up a lovely wee 90 at the weekend, but got the shock of our lives when we found out the price - £6500+VAT for a W-reg in pretty average condition, and 100K on the clock!!   :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 11:55:05 pm »
That's landies for you  ;D - a jumped up truck with prestige, although goodness knows why - they never start,are always breaking down, they are alcoholics and parts cost a bomb.  I'll stick to my good old pal Zaffy.  (Vauxhall Zafira)  so so so versatile - even little kids in adverts drive 'em
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:43 am »
 :)we had a landrover td5 just loved it swapped it for another 4x4 and miss it so much looks like a trade in coming in the new year ;) they can handle every aspect of life even the police used to give us a knock for its services when motorists came off the road in bad weather.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:59 pm »
I'm delighted to say that my Series 2A Landrover passed its MOT once again today, without needing any attention.  I was cautiously optimistic, since I wasn't aware of any problems, but still very relieved after the event.  This is the third MOT since the last major work (overhauling the brakes).

I agree with Doganjo that they are very thirsty (approx 17mpg) but parts are very cheap (from Paddocks), insurance is almost as cheap as you can get (£130 fully comp) and road tax is free, due to its age.  This makes it an economical vehicle to own, especially since I've owned it over ten years.  On the other hand, it's not my main car, so I don't use it for long journeys - a Ford Galaxy does motorways etc.  The Landie is perfect for hauling logs, bales of hay across fields, water bowsers etc.  Almost a tractor.

Horses for courses comes to mind.

John

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 07:47:11 pm »
Thanks for that Carl I'll let my OH know.

Fergie. we were very lucky with our IIa - it was advertised for £1,100 in the admag.  An old bloke had bought it in May and then had to spend £700 to get it through its MOT and then found he didn't have the strength to drive it.  We bought it off him for £700 in June - we got a fab deal, but feel a bit sorry for him.

It has been fiddled with alot.  It was originally diesel, but now has a petrol engine and it looks like it originally had a canvass top and tailgate, but now has a hardtop roof and normal door.  The chains for the tailgate are still in the back and make a right racket when I go over speed bumps!!

Just on more question from you IIa boffins!  Should my Landy have old style number plates? 

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »
£700 was a bargain for any half decent Land Rover with a legitimate MOT!

Reflective number plates are a requirement for any vehicle registered after 1973 (I think).  Prior to that date (and any Series 2A will be prior to 1971) you have a choice - if you prefer old style black & white or pressed aluminium, then you are quite free to fit them.

John

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:27 pm »
I do!  Where do you get them from.  I think its white writing on black for the front, but is it for the back?

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 01:41:46 pm »
yes, white (or aluminium) on black for both front & back.

The easiest way to get plates is mail order - look at the adverts at the back of a classic car magazine, here is an example just in case you don't collect old car magazines:-

http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk/vintageplates.aspx

John

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »
Thank you

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 09:39:14 am »
 ;D G'day Having read most of your replies I will add my 3pennyworth' You have not said why it wont start! Q1 Does the starter motor whizz the engine over at full cranking speed? No!  Because the battery voltage at the coil will be low also so it is unlikely to go properly.So remove the earth wire from the chassis and wirebrush and Emery the mating joint faces and replace tightly,remove the + battery terminal and do the same to both faces (now don't reconnect the earth wire to the battery)Remove the - terminal and clean both halves and replace and tighten follow the cable to the solenoid switch and dismantle the wires and clean pay particular attention to the nut on the solenoid that the wires tighten up to clean the holding nut and then reassemble the wires on the solenoid bolt.Check if there is a earthing cable from the engine to the chassis and clean both ends and replace it nice and clean and tight. Now whilst all this is going on charge the battery you should have 13-14 volts and if you can borrow a drop test meter the battery should maintain a drop of 900-1000 amps for at least 30 seconds when fully charged.Only drop test with the - (earth wire) disconnected from the battery.If the battery is good then reconnect the earth wire and see how fast the starter will crank the engine if it cranks fast the engine will fire up if you have done all the above checks Don't use Easy start it is not a cure at all.Q2 Does it crank fast now if not there is a problem with the starter motor .Remove the - Neg wire from the battery this is important if you are unsure of what you are doing.Its a good thing to do even if you do know if the end of the wire from the starter drops and rests on any metal it will cause a dead short and all sorts of horrible things can happen.To check the solenoid contacts are not burnt out is quite a problem for the home mechanic but this is the easy way connect your ohm meter across the two big bolts where the battery wire and the wire into the starter is and you should get a no circuit reading.connect a wire securely to the starter frame and - on the battery and another wire from + to the solenoid actuation terminal the solenoid will close (Its a good plan to fasten the starter in a vice to do this because the starter will hopefully jump when the switch closes with a good hefty kick.Whats the ohm meter read?  I t should read 000 if its perfect but it may read a lot of ohms if the switch is defective and dirty.May I suggest you get a replacement known to be good You can repair it at home but its a bother.(when you have removed all the nuts that appear to hold the plastic cover it still wont come off DONT FORCE IT the solenoid activating bolt has a wire soldered through it )heat up the bolt with a soldering iron and pull the cover away then you will find all burnt and dirty contact bolt heads and a burnt contact ring the ring can be turned over if someone like me hasn't beat you to it  and the contact bolts pushed out and filed up like new.Reassemble and test.While you have the starter off have a look at the brush gear and change them if they are down to half an inch long.Again reassemble and refit the starter and the - battery terminal wire and try the cranking it will now spin properly and start.If you have carried out the point cleaning etc as described above.This operation has only cost you time and at worst a brush pack.You can of course fit a new replacement starter at some £140 Its worth the time Good Luck George
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:44:52 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
Thanks for all that Wizard - I'll pass it onto my husband.  The Landy is currently off the road for a clean downd waxoyl.  Also I think the alternator needs replacing as the new battery is not getting charged up.  I just hope that things get fixed ASAP as I am missiong it madly - I'm stuck with my OH's Ford Mondeo! :(

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 02:59:45 pm »
 ;Hello Miri again I've been to bed and had a sleep and a ponder You say Landi has a new battery.Was it fully charged? Has the other half any test equipment? No.So before you rush out and splash some 140 sovs try to find out what is wrong with the alternator.Remove the wires from the alternator Insulate the large one its live from the battery all the time the battery is in circuit Having done this remove the unit and give it a wash in a drop of petrol when its clean let it dry the petrol evaporates quite quickly Dont forget petrol is highly inflamable so no smoking or naked lights near by or a Supasur type heater.Carefully dismantle it you may find the energizer brush is worn out.You can make a new one from the carbon rod out of a "D" type dry cell file it to shape and it wants to fit snug not loose and wobbly not tight so it jams.Clean the ring where it runs on and reassemble refit and test This very often works and it has cost nothing but your time.Refit the wires after cleaning them to make a good contact Start the engine and check the charge rate.Oh sorry no test equipment.So let the engine tick over and switch on all the lights.Get someone to stand in front and gently rev the engine to half speed and see if the lamps brighten They should if the alternator is charging.Hope this fixes it its just saved enough to treat mam to a fish and chip supper and well over a 120 sovs in your pocket Good Luck George.ps black and white/ali numbers ceased in 1973 after then they were and are still white front and yellow rear with black letters and figures
A true story I should have told you on the earth story A long time ago when the in thing was a Ford 100E an apprentice took the radiator out after draining it and removed the front engine mounting nuts and the earth strap unscrewed the bell housing bolts and all the wires etc Pulled off the engine and fitted a new clutch and cover plate and release bearing.Refitted the engine into the car and built it up.I heard it crank poorly and start up."What have you done to it Kieth I asked" "Changed the clutch"" Well it started properly when it came in so you have done something wrong" I went over and said stop it and he did "Start it up so he pulled the start knob and the choke cable started to glow like the element in an electric fire He had omitted to replace the earth link from the engine to the chassis.with as you can imagine disastrous results the choke cable was welded solid and could not be pulled put Such a simple mistake could have caused a lot of bother if the vehicle had been returned to its owner.Always double check your work on electrics mistakes can be very costly George
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:13:28 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 07:27:08 pm »
Thanks Wizard, my OH has printed off this thread and has been tinkering in the garage every now and again.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 10:03:23 am »
Hello Miri Has any of the offered advice got Landie going properly? Just to cheer you up Subaru has had a little fit she says its to cold I want all my heat my self and isn't letting any warm into the cab.Ive threatened her and said if she don't behave I'll tek her down to Potts and have her crushed.She didn't seem to care so I think I shall have to drain her coolant properly and refill her properly instead of my slovenly way of letting 1/2 a gallon of water out and replacing it with antifreeze.Some I win but this one I lost.Oh dear means I will have to get underneath to drain the boxer properly.LOL George

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS