Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Farming in Canada  (Read 5141 times)

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
Sheep Farming in Canada
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:47:21 pm »
Hi, as the name suggests I am a sheepfarmer in Canada originally from the UK.
Canada only produces 45% of the sheepmeat consumed here, the shortfall is imported from NZ and Australia, so it really is a good time to come over and get into sheep.
Sheep are the Cinderella industry here as most Canadians traditionally don't eat lamb, but every year more and more people come into the country who look upon lamb as a staple.

There are tricks and differences involved in keeping a successful flock here so one should come with an open mind and not assume too much. If you want to farm then Canada is the country, a lot of things are possible and they actually like Brits!  ???

Apparently with the climate changes ahead Manitoba is set to become a very desirable place to live.  :) We should get a much longer growing season among other benefits.

Think about the True North, Strong and Free!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Sheep Farming in Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »
Hi, and welcome from North Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:29:55 pm »
Hello from me in Scotland  ;D
I LOVE Canada - just like home, except it's warmer  ;)
I had family in Orillia (sorry, probably spelt that wrong) and used to visit. Would move there in a minute if it wasn't for the kids (oh, and the bears  :o)
I hope to hear lots more about your adventures ;D

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:01:24 pm »
Hello and welcome. I have been to manitoba (Winnipeg) a few times and I love it but I think the weather would defeat me. too hot in summer (and the mozzies) and too cold in Winter,. Do let us know how you manage the season,

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 05:29:40 pm »
Welcome from France. :pig: :pig: :pig:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 05:38:39 pm »
Hello and welcome from Derbyshire
Little Blue

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:28:23 pm »
Welcome from Ireland.

Love Canada,  stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel for two weeks and travelled around the Rockies -
makes the mountains in Ireland look like mole hills  ;D ;D ;D

but also love Ireland and can't see us moving ever - we have a wonderful spot here, and hopefully the
global warming will mean better weather for us too, although we live halfway up a forested mountain so
pretty sheltered, no wind, and look over lakes and mountains from a safe distance - i.e. if the water rises
we won't need to swim  ;D ;D

Good luck with your sheep and welcome to the forum

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:50:09 pm »
Hello and welcome. I have been to manitoba (Winnipeg) a few times and I love it but I think the weather would defeat me. too hot in summer (and the mozzies) and too cold in Winter,. Do let us know how you manage the season,

Thankyou all for your welcome. :)
You mention the heat and the cold Sheila, and they can be problem, even Canadians from other provinces fear the prairie winters, but we do get 4 very definite seasons. When I lived in Ireland it seemed to be fall weather all the year round, perpetual autumn. It seemed we never got a summer. The cold does a lot of good for the gardener and farmer in that it kills a lot of bugs and parasites on crops and pasture. We do not often get the humidity that I have experienced in Ontario, that would be a dealbreaker for me. Every year since I have been here we have had at least one 40 below day/night and a 40 above one. I like that contrast.

As for sheep, this climate is way better for them than Britain's in my opinion. It gets cold agreed, but a dry cold, very different to the damp cold of the UK. An alpine cold,  this area gets more sunshine hours than anywhere else in Canada. I have never had a sheep with footrot for instance, whereas back home this was a major consideration. I can't remember when I last saw a sheep limping. Also respiratory problems are far rarer.

sandy

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:12:10 pm »
Hello from another Central Scotland person, like the idea of Canada but for now (and the forseeable future) Scotland is far enough away from my daughters, although one lives in Australia!!!!! You certainly get some stunning scenery!!!
P.S Must add, I nearly always put a/several spelling mistakes in my posts to make everyone else feel more intellectual ;) ;) ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 04:30:18 pm »
Hi and welcome!

confusedwhippet

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mid Clyth, Caithness
    • Caithness Rare Breeds
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:34 pm »
Hello from the Far North of Scotland

Will be good to hear your sheep keeping stories
Caithness Rare Breeds - Working to preserve livestock native to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland

Crofting Supplies - For all your crofting needs
www.croftingsupplies.com

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »
Hello and welcome, would love to hear more about farming in Canada, some of our friends are emigrating to nova scotia and they want us to go, being in france and in the middle of the recession we are struggling big time and sheep farming is one thing we do - would be very interested to hear more.

Thanks

sandy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
Like most people, I have relatives who emigrated, also cousins who came back to UK!!!!! A lot of Scots in nova Scotia!!! I had a distant cousin who worked for the Hudson Bay Trading company and had several Inuik children, he lived for 10 years as an Inuit, was on the cover of Time magazine dressed in seal skins as he represented the Inuit in parliament, he also wrote a best selling book...His daughter has been in touch with me, her mother was the Shamens wife and hopefully comming to a family reunion next year!!!!! Oh the book can easily be found on oogle search..."Pryde of the Artic" Nuagra...my home my country!!!! well worth a read...when I read about him I thought it was an uncle...he lived a very similar life in North Wales...a remote spot and very much a charactor...his son..my cousin, lives now in Glasgow but I am not in touch with him.........

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:08:54 pm »
That is a fascinating story Sandy. There's a book in that!

There is a lot more interest in the North as the planet gets warmer, the Russians and the Americans, Danes, Canadians, all are looking again at who 'owns' what.
We live in interesting times...

sandy

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 07:06:12 pm »
The 8th cousin was Duncan Pryde, he was brought up in an orphanage and all the family did very well, one of his sisters, also died young, married a Peer and her daughter, Arabella Croft, is a film producer in Glasgow is wants to make the book into a film. My partner read the book and passed it to a work college from Glasgow, he thought it sounded far fetched but apparently they left a lot out as it was far too risky and the college showed the book to another friend and he used to drink with Duncan...small world..In the 70's, Cliff Mitchelmore made a documentary about him, I wold love to see that!!!!!! Anyway...enough of that ramble...I talk a lot as well ;) ;)http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-duncan-pryde-1291104.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:57:59 pm by sandy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS