Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got rare breed lambs for sale  (Read 7617 times)

ileach

• Joined Apr 2008
Anyone got rare breed lambs for sale
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:03:10 pm »
Posted on behalf of a friend. She is looking for, preferably rare breed lambs, which would be suitable for her pet farm which has various animals. Lambs must be of the friendly type, she is thinking about Zwarbles but would consider anything else. Only thing is the lambs must be within reasonable travelling distance of the Central scotland belt. This is a home for life where they will be well looked after.
Thanks

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Re: Anyone got rare breed lambs for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:14:02 am »
There is a rare breeds sale on at Thainstone, Aberdeenshire at the begining of May (just incase she has trouble sourcing some)  :)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:22:05 am »
Ouessants are just perfect for this type of thing checkout the links in my sig
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:23:01 am »
Oops this one might be more useful http://ouessants.ning.com
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30:43 pm »
I know of a lady in the Broxburn area who breeds Zwartbles, also another breeder in Biggar.  Not sure if it's ok to put names & contact details on here though ?

ileach

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 02:27:11 pm »
Thanks If you want e mail me direct and i will pass on the details to the girl looking for the Zwarbles
jane.coull@btinternet.com.
Well thats all my coloured ryelands lambed and no casualties. They are at the "races" stage and skipping around the field, until they spot me and then think it is supper time. Ryelands always seem to think of the stomachs no matter what age.

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:18:50 pm »
Hello there, I know of a local farm who have a lovely flock of the zwarbly thingies.  I get orphan mules from them.  They have lambed this year and she said she would be selling a few - out with my price range I'm afraid.  They are near Clackamnnanshire - very central.  Give me an email if you are interested and I'll contact them for you.  I live near and have a livestock trailer if you need a hand, although when they're that small I just put them in the boot of my hatchback.

I would be interested in ryeland lambs if you are thinking of selling any, I'd appreciate an email with a price.  My husband has really taken to those knock-kneed wooly jumpers.  Although I had heard that they are more difficult to shear?

Carol

p.s. do you think if we all concentrated really hard we could get the grass to grow.......................

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:19:35 am »
I hate to say this but a wee shower of rain would be most welcome...

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 07:21:19 am »
Has your friend managed to find some sheep? I can recommend Zwartbles as a tame biddable breed, we breed them and certainly notice the difference between them and our welsh mule/texel crosses who are fairly tame but noticeably more awkward, particularly when we have to bring the sheep in take them back out, when the zwartbles reach their field gate they wait for you to open it, the white sheep continue off up the lane into the distance! I will be selling lambs later this year but not near enough to Scotland for your friend and current restrictions wouldn't allow her to buy from England. There are plenty of breeders in Scotland the Zwartbles Association should be able to help, they produce a year book with a list of registered breeders and contact details and I think they are about to start to allow sale adverts on their website www.zwartbles.org
The Zwartbles sheep do vary in size a bit, they are known as a large breed, partly I think as the show sheep that get seen tend to be very large however there are smaller sheep out there which might be more suitable for a pet farm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS