Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 4431 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Cheese
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:17:06 pm »
Does anyone use frozen goats milk for cheese ? If so does it work as well as fresh or not ?
Its just we are freezing our surplus milk for when it drops but wondered about cheese with it aswell as we have only ever used fresh
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »
I nearly always do and it works fine.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:36:51 pm »
Thanks Lesley  :thumbsup:
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:54:58 pm »
Hope your cheese making goes well. When my girls are producing enough for making cheese, I freeze any excess in four pint bottles by keeping adding to what was in there and freezing it, so it can take a few days to build up a bottle full. As soon as I have two bottles full, cheese is made. Love it.  :yum:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:19:41 am »
Hope your cheese making goes well. When my girls are producing enough for making cheese, I freeze any excess in four pint bottles by keeping adding to what was in there and freezing it, so it can take a few days to build up a bottle full. As soon as I have two bottles full, cheese is made. Love it.  :yum:
We have about 6 ltrs a day spare at the moment  ::)
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »
Lucky you. I'm getting about half a mugful a day between the two of them. The kids are feeding from both the adults and taking it all.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »
Lucky you. I'm getting about half a mugful a day between the two of them. The kids are feeding from both the adults and taking it all.

Time to shut them away from mum(s) overnight.... methinks.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 09:02:41 pm »
I would if I had the facilities to do so. ATM I'm using up the milk from the freezer but then I will have to think seriously about separating them somehow. They are three months old now so they don't need to be with her all the time.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »
We can, if needed put a hurdle into across one corner, OH made it to fit and it works very well. Can be opened/removed during the day.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:57:51 pm »
I'll have to have a think about it. I just don't want to prevent them getting to the water bucket and I have nowhere else to put an extra bucket holder. I'm not trusting them again with a bucket on the floor.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 07:21:07 am »
I'll have to have a think about it. I just don't want to prevent them getting to the water bucket and I have nowhere else to put an extra bucket holder. I'm not trusting them again with a bucket on the floor.

You can get the "hook-over-hurdle" bucket holders for the small blue ones (1 1/4gallon), which is what I use at shows and if I need a pen in the field for the sheep. They also fit most wooden-type hurdles.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »
Forgot about the hook over type. Will they go on metal hurdles as well?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Forgot about the hook over type. Will they go on metal hurdles as well?

Yes they do, over the standard-thickness hurdles anyway.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 11:37:05 pm »
Great, thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS