Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help please  (Read 1822 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
help please
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:25:59 pm »
I recently got two young male kids to keep company with my bagot boy after his partner died. The tog' lad is fine but the nubian is an escape artist! how do we keep him in the field! we have extended the sheep fencing to 6 foot and he still comes over it. They have plenty to eat, and are fed 'extras' for interest, they get on fine with the bagot yet the nubian is over the fence all the time. I can't budget for electric fencing, is tethering the answer if so, how much rope would he need and what sort of stake. I am worried he will get out onto the lane by the croft. He is a friendly lad but he has company, house, nice food so why the constant jumping! and how can we make him safe inside his field.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:58 pm »
It's because he learnt that he can get out, so that's what he will do.... I think you have a fight on your hands to stop him. Unless he has learnt (as in is used to) being tethered I would doubt he will be happy with it, and if his mates decide to go to the other side of the field he will strangle himself trying to get after them...

Sorry not to be more positive, IMO - curry is the only option for him. Is he castrated?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:33 pm »
You might only need a section of electric tape, to keep him back from the bit of fence he goes over - have you seen where he gets out?

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »
He comes out anywhere he sees a chance, we extended the height of the area they are in. and he comes over the gate, that we have now extended and he is trying all the areas, he is a lovely lad and my bagot is happy for the company, curry is not an option (we are veggies!). I have never seen a nubian who come jump so high, when he is contained he does not stop yelling, it's a clean green paddock with shelter, and a table and stuff to climb on. Could he be hungry? he has sheepcrunch and assorted green matter (bramble tops, fruit, small fruit tree clippings) how much is enough? thank you for your help.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »
Haha, I know it is not funny for you but I also had a Nubian x who could jump like a stag. Never bothered with the fence unless the vet was here or something upset her then she could clear 5' from a standstill.

Is there something on the other side which he is liking? Is it possible to hobble a goat? Not the best option but might stop him jumping. Good luck

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:26:51 pm »
Nothing on the other side of the fence, in fact once he has jumped he makes a huge fuss 'cause his friend is on the other side, and he wants back in....can't see hobbling him, maybe just cutting his legs off :-J

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:53:30 pm »
could it be a case of 2's company 3's a crowd and your boy is feeling left out of things with the other 2?
I personally hate tethering, our very first goat had been tethered when we got her and she was mean, would butt anyone that got close but as soon we got her some friends and a decent fence and let her off she's a totally different goat  :love:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:12:05 pm »
Would if be possible for you to extend the height of the gate to match the fencing? with something like a piece of trellis.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:53 pm »
Friends of ours suspend ropes over the gate in order to deter jumping over them.

Is he looking for your company? AN's like human company more than other breeds, they can be very soppy. Hard to break the habit though.  :(  I don't recommend tethering. Is it possible to shut all three into a shed for a few days to try and break the cycle?

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS