Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what sized driving harness?  (Read 3902 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
what sized driving harness?
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »
Hello all  :wave:

I've jut bought an 11month old cob colt and I know this is a little bit early but I'm unsure as to what size I need!

He Is currently standing at 13.3 at the rump (he Is bum high atm) but he has a very fine head. Does anyone know where he would be a pony or cob size?

Thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: what sized driving harness?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:02:45 pm »
I tried Smokey in both cob and fullsized - he's 15.1 Highland. Neither fitted properly - the FS was too big in the back end and the cob too big in the front end. I bought webbing harness from Libby's and sent them his measurements and they put a set together to fit him - it's not custom made per se but it's parts from both sizes.

Very good service.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »
if he is that big as a yearly he should make a good 14.2 as a 4 yr old.so definitely cob if not bigger.
my pony harness is on a 11.2 welsh A and fits him fine, but it wouldnt fit a pony over 13.hh

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »
I'm only asking as I've seen a lovely leather harness at a very good price and its a cob. I might jut buy it and if it doesn't fit I can sell it or like rosemary said I can mix and match! thank you!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:29 am »
Cobs can be hard to fit. My mare is 15.2hh. Getting a good fit was proving difficult so I had a set made by Tedman which is a webbing set but good enough for showing.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:56:13 pm »
Ive been driving horses for over 30 years  and i would never buy a harness based on what  size the horse might end up .If its a good harness and you can get it for cheap then buy it and worry about it fitting when hes old enough.If it doesnt fit then it sounds like you will have made an investment, as you can allways sell it on at the going rate...Good harness's are hard to come by and cost serious money and will allways resell.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:46:42 am »
No way will he need a pony size, at least cob if not full.  I have a full size webbing harness that fits 14-14'2 Highlands so it depends how big he matures but the finer head might need a cob size bridle and the bigger back end a full size harness.  You don't always get the bridle with the harness anyway so worth an investment if something you like has come up affordably.  They don't lose value.  And if he grows through the cob size to require full at maturity, at least you'll have had it in use for a year or so on the way.

As an aside, can anyone tell me what a full size webbing one costs second hand these days?  I don't suppose I'll be driving again so it might be time to put it on ebay, just not sure where to start with pricing.  Thanks and sorry to divert the thread :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS