Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling as Store Lambs or Light Fat Lambs  (Read 11569 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Selling as Store Lambs or Light Fat Lambs
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 12:32:06 pm »
Shortage of some minerals can also  cause lambs to stall
Is that often/usually sorted out by a red bucket of generic lick..... Or only by soil testing and specific drenches?
     Normally blood test or any hay /silage grown on farm tested , speak to your vet they should be able to tell you if you are in an area with specific problems , your neighbouring farmers SHOULD  also know,  often cobolt / copper shortage can be a problem .   A bucket or lick if no specific problem is just excreted !!     If you buy in hay from a different area with no shortages then you are bringing in mins and vits .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 04:22:19 pm »
With the numbers you are talking about it is difficult to justify the extra cost for mineral analysis etc, FEC is of course cheap and probably good to do, not sure of you would get an idea about fluke - you need adults laying eggs for that. Also some flukicides have really long withdrawal times, so you need to make sure you can treat and then send them away when you need to.

Up here we have an annual "light lambs sale" in early December, that's when I send any off that are between 30 and 40kgs. Usually make ok money on a per kg liveweight basis. Unless you can justify the extra spend on winter feed in increased money you get when selling as fat hogs in the spring, it is best to get them away as either stores or as lightweight if their weights are ok.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 06:31:02 pm »
Simple question seem to have gone amis, have you grass left for them? If no you won't do yourself any favors keeping them on.
Perhaps over sow some red clover to increase growth next year.

For worming, lambs get panacure when the ewes get shorn, a hefty dose will do no harm if you don't have a weigh crate or a good eye for it. Fluke, well your address sounds like Wales so is think yes, do you have ground that becomes wet easily? If so fasinex quarterly, again don't scrimp, up here we have to double the dose as we have some resistance. Yes it has withdrawal period but at that size they are not going straight into the FC, so just declare it at the sale.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »
I started giving them a mineral drench I and I have found that worked.
Some put a mineral bucket for the lambs.

I think I read that vitamin B12 promotes growth.

Anyway I have lots of grass and clover so its mineral drench again.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »
B12 stimulates appetite

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 07:27:46 pm »
Quick update:

Vet says nothing abnormal in the poo, no need to medicate.

I've put a Crystalyx bucket in with them and they can help themselves to that.

Local marts are starting to see store lambs so I'll watch the prices and see if it's worth taking them.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS