Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My lamb has ?bloat  (Read 9723 times)

KatrinaH

• Joined Aug 2014
My lamb has ?bloat
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:52 am »
Hi
I have an 8 week old dorper x merino - his name is Duncan. He has been with his mum but I was also bottle suplementing as she had very little milk, otherwise everything was fine. This week he's gone off his lucerne and won't take his bottle. He has a 'swollen' stomach which it soft to the touch. I've had the vet out today. He took bloods and they've come back saying he's anaemic and his white blood count is high. This means he has an infection somewhere and anaemia due to not enough milk. He looks generally uncomfortable. He lies down and stretches his legs out straight. When he stands, he stretches out from his back legs a lot. I've been told to get as much milk into him as I can and give him antibiotic. He is bright enough, his eyes are good, not sunken, not glassy. He calls out when he can't see me. He takes a bit of milk but not much. I tried him on lamb pellets but he's not interested. He sniffs at the lucerne and has a little tiny amount to eat. He is urinating but I haven't seen him do a poo. The vet thought he was constipated on Wednesday (I was speaking to him on the phone so he could only go on how I explained Duncan's condition to him) and he told me to administer vegetable oil - that didn't have any effect. He has since had two doses of constipation medication - still nothing. The vet says his temperature is normal and he isn't constipated. He's inside with us near the fire as its rather cold out and I don't want him getting pnemonia.

Can anyone shed any light on what is wrong with little Duncan?

Thank you in advance.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: My lamb has ?bloat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:59 pm »
Is he belching?

I'd be using all the bloat remedies. I wrote 'em up about a calf, but all the same applies (apart from don't give cake to a lamb who's bloated.)

linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:47:24 pm »
Warm water enema.   Hope he's better soon.  Read Sallys list defo xx

KatrinaH

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:40:10 pm »
He's not belching - from either end.  I've had him inside since 4pm yesterday so I can monitor how much he is eating/drinking/weeing etc. He has done many wee's but hasn't done one poo. I have an awful feeling that he has a bowel obstruction. I'll ring the vet and see what he thinks. I'll check out your bloat remedies though Linky, thank you. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for responding to me.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:53 pm »
Hello Katrina,

How is your lamb doing?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:21:08 pm »
How is he today, what is he fed on, does he have any of his mums ewe nuts or the likes?  Could be urinary possibly?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 10:21:06 am »
Katrina I hope he's ok xx :bouquet:

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »
Hi Katrina, I had a lamb many moons ago who we called stretch, for the reasons you mention. He did manage to live until about   4months when I'm afraid I had him put down. He didn't DO ,always looked thin despite eating, was with mum until the end but continually stretched himself. After his demise we looked at his gut and it seemed to have several restricted areas of unknown cause. I realise this is not helpful and I do hope your lamb is OK . Good Luck :hug:

KatrinaH

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »
Hello all and thank you for your suggestions and on-going concern about Duncan. I'm terribly saddened to tell you that I lost little Dunky on Sunday afternoon. Things seemed to have improved on Sunday morning as his bowels started working and he was happily nibbling some grass. Then at lunch time he took a turn for the worse and became very weak very quickly. He started having what I can only call seizures and then passed away as I was holding him. It just broke my heart - I'm not a tough farmer! I can only think that he had some sort of a bowel issue and I was unable to help him.  Thanks again everyone for your advise. Katrina xx

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »
I'm so sorry to here that Katrina. It's awful when a youngster that you have nursed doesn't make it. But at least you know that you did all that was possible. :hug:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:10:40 pm »
I'm so so sorry  :bouquet: x

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:15:42 pm »
I'm sorry that Duncan didn't make it  :bouquet: - but at least he had masses of TLC from you. :hugsheep:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:25:12 pm »
When we lost dinky dot, I was ( stil am) heart broken.  But when you keep stock these things can happen, I never forget them, but you have to carry on for the rest, and learn from the situation whatever it may be.  Big ol hug  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS