Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: availability of lime  (Read 2641 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
availability of lime
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:22:51 am »
I asked my local feed merchant about lime flour and he said it was discontinued, no reaon given. Same happened with garden lime at B & Q. Does anyone know what this could be about?  :&>

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: availability of lime
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:53:23 pm »
whats it used for with poultry

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:56:37 pm »
If you have a problem with soft-shelled eggs (and are already supplying the oyster shell as required) then you can add some limestone flour (for calcium) and cod liver oil (for vitamin E to aid calcium absorption) - I always add a teaspoon of both once a week to their food to prevent any issues.
by aparker155

My ducks are eating less of their pellets with oystershell grit at the moment, days are short and they are too busy making a mess of what is left of the garden, so I was getting more cracked and even soft eggs. This is worth a go - the merchant I asked about it actually ordered it in now. Also, the birds tend to turn the soil more acidic, just by doing what they do, I've read it was good to give it the odd lime treatment.  :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:48:05 pm »
You can buy 1kg of limestone flour from Robinsons for £2.15 - folk give it to their horses.

I'm not sure if it's the same stuff as garden lime, though.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:24:04 pm »
Rosemary, where is Robinsons, is it local? One of my chickens has been laying soft shelled eggs but not often, they do get oyster shell regularly.
Gordon

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:46:48 pm »
I don't think it is the same like the stuff I use in the veggie patch. I'll try again in a garden centre, maybe it was just a coincidence.  :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:05:59 am »
Robinsons is a big mail order equestrian warehouse - I just used it to see if the stuff was available. Any equestrian or farm supplier will be able to get it for you but if you can't get it locally, google robinsons horses and you'll get the site.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS