Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice requests - it's so helpful when.........  (Read 2539 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Advice requests - it's so helpful when.........
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:32:39 am »
It's so helpful when the original poster presents the full story in the first instance.  It takes time and thought to write back answers, and this is a waste of time no smallholder has if the OP then says 'oh I know all that, but..' and then follows with a fuller story.  None of us knows everyone else's experience and knowledge, so if a question is asked we reply in good faith, and love to help.  So please please, to avoid misunderstandings, give us all the clues  :sofa:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:34:16 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Advice requests - it's so helpful when.........
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:51:55 am »
I'd second that  :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 12:03:44 pm »
Eeek - hope I'm not a culprit
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:24:48 pm »
Can I add something too?  It's really helpful when the subject line summarises the actual post. For example, "Welsh Dragon wanted, Aberdeenshire"  is so much more helpful than "Welsh Dragon wanted", or just "Wanted".

The same goes with other topics - "Lame duck, help needed" is so much better than "can anybody advise...?"!

Thanks everybody!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:41:06 pm »
Hmm - but sometimes I seem to have the opposite problem: I post that I've had problem X and I've done this, that & the other, then I've asked someone and tried A, B and C, all to no avail.  By this time it's a long post and I don't get any replies at all; possibly because I've done everything already, but maybe just because no-one can be bothered to read the whole post.

Or else they obviously don't read the whole post and reply "why don't you try B?" despite the fact that I've already said I've done it, so I end up saying "I've already tried that" anyway.

So I'd say: say everything in the original post only if you can fit it into 2 or 3 short paragraphs.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:46:59 pm »
But do keep asking because it's very interesting to see what troubles other people especially when you are experiencing similar yourself.

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »
And to put a price on things for sale,its a waste of time and effort when you find find people want £+++for a single egg

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS