Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs to keep in an orchard??  (Read 4106 times)

fifisoo

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Pigs to keep in an orchard??
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »
 :pig: Thinking about getting some pigs (for fattening) and keeping them in our orchard. Has anyone done this without the tree roots being destroyed? I see there are some breeds of pigs that are more suited to this but just wondering if anyone has tried it recently and with what breed? We had a couple of saddlebacks as our first foray into pig keepng (slaughtered in March) and it all worked out perfectly and it is time for some more, Thanks, Fiona

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: Pigs to keep in an orchard??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:11 am »
I think it would depend on the type of tree and its age.   Our saddlebacks uprooted and destroyed every bay tree we had in our copse, including mature ones, but they grow like weeds round here so not a big deal.   They also killed our two Robinia trees, but oddly enough, by eating the bark all round rather than uprooting them.   In the orchard they uprooted all the self seeded apple and plum saplings, but left the mature trees intact.  Ditto in the woodland - young trees with trunk diameters under 2 inches all went, older trees usually survived, presumably as their roots go much deeper.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:54 am »
We have Large Blacks in our orchard, but only started keeping them last Autumn, the plum and apple trees look fine, so I have my fingers tightly crossed!

fifisoo

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »
Mowhaugh, are your trees mature? Ours are still young, (about 8 years old) but have still got the plastic tree guards on, not that that would deter them for long if the pigs wanted to have a nibble on the bark.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:42:41 pm »
Yes, our trees are mature, in fact they could probably be described as elderly and have fruited beautifully for many years, so I really hope they are OK.

The tree guards might be enough to stop the pigs noticing them too much if they have plenty else to do, maybe?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:26 am »
Gloucestershire Old Spots are the traditional orchard pigs, thats alledgedly how they got their spots; apples fell from the trees causing bruises many years ago.
There are members of the GOS club in Scotland near you check
http://www.gospbc.co.uk/the-club/club-members/
They're easy pigs to keep and getting weaners to fatten shouldn't do too much damage (have to say though mine do love a destroy of a plastic tree guard! ::) )
Enjoy
mandy :pig:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »
Effects of rooting may take a while to show.  Rooting can partially sever tree roots and the effects won't show until a dry summer leaves the tree with inadequate water.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS