Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strange acting lamb  (Read 2399 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Strange acting lamb
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:37 am »
I have a Jacob ewe lamb, 4 months old who is lying still by herself with chin on the ground while the rest of the flock (including mum) are wandering around feeding. She was Crovect'd and there is no sign of fly attack. When I approach she gets up quickly and runs off and looks fine. Could it be just the very hot weather we have in Devon just now?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Strange acting lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:09:05 am »
Does she get up and move around after dusk, when it's cooler?

Else maybe suspect feet.  They can be very good at concealing lameness once they're running away from you ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »
I've got one very similar today, not sure if it's the heat or not, again no sign of strike and all feet clean, think it could just be the heat but will check him again this evening, it is very hot here today.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:11 pm »
Thanks for that Sally - I have just checked her again (9.30pm -much cooler) and she is up and grazing normally with the others. They do have lots of shade, but I guess the air temperature was just too much. I know how she feels!!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:11:59 pm »
I checked mine too - absolutely fine this evening :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS