Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bbc really disgusting meat  (Read 6481 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Re: bbc really disgusting meat
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »
I really want to be vegetarian now!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:40 pm »
I think that so many people have never eaten "proper" meat that they don't realise how awful this stuff is. They've been fed s***te from an early age and think that this is how food tastes.
By the way I have a lovely, tasty recipe for bullock heart if anyone wants it!

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »
I think that so many people have never eaten "proper" meat that they don't realise how awful this stuff is. They've been fed s***te from an early age and think that this is how food tastes.
By the way I have a lovely, tasty recipe for bullock heart if anyone wants it!

With you all the way on this one, "people" have absolutely no idea of "what" is in their food!
and half the country's vegetarian population have no idea of what to eat to give them a balanced diet either!
Pigtails

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:50:51 pm »
even before the big Mad Cow Disease outbreak, i stopped eating things like Mince, Sausages, Burgers. I've never eaten Hot Dogs

I actually stopped eating because there was no taste to them and also, i didn't like the texture of ground meat. This is a shame as i'm sure there are some great home made sausages, burgers, lasagnes etc. But sadly, my memory of my dislike of such food textures prevents me enjoying more wholesome versions of these cheap crap.

what i don't get is WHY this is allowed. Why does the government think this is acceptable to sell to people? Yeah, the companies involved would be up in arms if they had to put 80/90/100% meat content (and i mean meat, not meat plus 25% fat, and certainly not cows nose!) but isn't that what free markets are all about - if they can't produce the product at the right price, then they find something else to make. Or the price goes up

I understand that people may not be that well off, but they are feeding their families burgers that cost 17p each. Add some tatties and carrots to that and you are feeding a family of 4 for under £2

Would it be so bad to pay 35-50p for a burger with more wholesome meat content?

i'd love to attend one of the companies meetings where they are deciding if a cows nose or cows cheek can be counted as MEAT content.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »
I never used to buy burgers only had the made ones but not too often but my children used to visit different friends and they always seemed to get cheap burgers!!!!! I use more processed meat now as I am busy at night with guests and hate all the washing up after, most nights though, we have proper meals and I only cook things that are both cheap ish and quick, no messing!!!!! Just a little bone of contention though...if you have a large family and a tight budget the shops tempt you with all the £1 meats and treats, I was amazed to see huge multipacks of crisps for £1 yet a tiny punnet of Blueberries for £2. I find vegetables expensive lately too, I used to make a fair bit of soup but now notice how cheap some are to buy ready done!!!!!! Well, I better be off to start our processed tea :D ;D ;D

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:36:06 pm »
 ;)i stopped eating processed foods years ago brought up on a farm i was always fed good wholesom meals but as with a lot of people when first married and both out at work you slip in to a few bad eating habbits then along came the kids they were mostly given a good home cooked meal and the occasional meal of junk but now they have flown the nest we only eat rare breed beef, pork & lamb home reared chicken & veg that is as local as possible a lot from the farm dad works my daughter tries to feed her son along these lines as much as possible but when i look in the supermarkets i can kind of understand why people eat some of the processed foods they do when you see the prices and they are ready to go and then you see the prices of the fruit & veg on a tight budget junk food will often win maybe we should go back to basics in the schools and teach the kids where the food comes from how it grows and how to cook it

sandy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:00:14 am »
It's all about price, when my children were growing up fruit and veg were relitively cheap and you could get good cheap cuts of meat so no need to buy pre cooked stuff, crisps, chocolate and other processed foods were more like treats, when I was growing up, a sweet treat fix was bread and jam or maybe a jam tart ;)I remember tuccking into a can of condensed milkwith a spoon ;) I think if I was a young mum now, my children would end up having much more processed stuff, even though I enjoy cooking!!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:26 am »
It's not all about price an awful lot is laziness and an awful lot is the lack of cooking skills. Many tv programs have shown that with cooking skills and prudent shopping [not cheap rubbish] it works out cheaper to buy the basic ingrediants and cook from scratch than buy processed foods. Long gone are the days of stretching a joint of meat to make two different meals on consecutive days;but that is partly because people have forgotten that meat is meant to make up the smallest portion on their plate not the largest[in a balanced diet].

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:10 am »
 ;)well said gavo our leg of pork we had last night also made todays sandwiches and a good helping of sweet & sour or a curry tonight, the same when we kill the cockerals we always get tow or three meals out of them its lack of imagination and and taking the easy route by eating rubish its certainly not cost effective to eat ready meals etc and if you buy british seasonal fruit & veg the prices are not expensive.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »
yes somewhere along the line basic cooking skills have been lost by many . I remember when we had chicken roast on a sunday , the next day it would be a cold chicken dinner then if there was enough chicken, sarnies, and then all the bones went in the pot for chicken stew or soup . The veg would get used up the next day too , bubble and squeak was always on our menu.
The dog would get any leftovers from the table as well as the usual food he got , not tinned , but scraps from the butcher!!
 The times have surely changed , some for the good, others not so good . But why do people eat crap ? Oh give me a dripping sarnie !!! not the stuff people buy in cartons ... but the real stuff in the roasting tray .....proper food !!!!  :o ::) ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:51 pm »
 :pig:pity your not closer russ you could have had a treat of british lop pork dripping sarnie for lunch last nights dripping sits here looking at me saying eat me. we waste nothing here and the dog eats well too

sandy

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 12:43:42 pm »
I remember the programme that started us questioning school meal, Jamie's School Meals I think? I was very shocked to find middle aged women who did not know how to cook, my daughter told me, just before the programme, that the local School only used processed stuff e.g Turkey Twizzlers? and she hated it as they ate fresh meat and veg at home. Start children off on processed stuff and I am sure they get addicted. I too use food up in meals and when I used to go camping in the VDUB, I would make a huge pot of stew and make it last several days, last bit over some bought chips ;)sometimes, when we have workmen stay for a long stint before going back home, I cook evening meals, ALWAYS home made with loads of veg BUT, I cannot offer them leftovers just in case contamination!!!!!
I guess it must be to do with laziness as I nearly always worked when my children were at School and used to plan meals, sometimes getting two meals done on the same evening and make something like Shephard pie, Lasagna or Casserole if I was going to be late home so it was ready for the oven when I got in, as I said before, most of the food I make takes little prep so WHY are people not cooking?

sandy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:41 pm »
ummm bread and dripping was a treat, nice bread and some salt ::)Darn't have any now :pig:

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »
no............Toast and lamb dripping is best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS