Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What equipment do I need?  (Read 6814 times)

Rekrab

• Joined Jul 2014
What equipment do I need?
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:24:34 pm »
First post and a bit of a plea for advice.

We purchased our horse friendly home with 3 1/2 acres a few years ago and apart from purchasing a Quad, chain harrow and a trailer (For picking up the manure and harrowing) I'm feeling the need to be self sufficient with regards to topping and spreading fertiliser.

Now, I've been able to get the above work done in the past by local farmers, but I hate asking and when they are free it's usually on the late side. (I am grateful, but hate nagging)

So the question is, am I best looking for attachments for the Quad or go down the tractor route? What kind of costs are involved and availability?

It's a lot to ask all at once I know, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:28:21 am by Rekrab »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: What equipment do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:27 am »
We have a quad fert  spreader ...... great little device, cost about £400-500  I think.
  Disadvantages ..... having to buy fert in 600KG bags which you (I mean we) have no way of moving ... and even had to change companies we ordered from as first one couldn't even  unload it for us!.... and with only 3.5 acres you are never going to need that much.

We are also now looking to purchase a topper.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »
You can get horse paddock fertiliser in 20 or 25kg bags for an application rate of 3 - 5 bags p/acre. If you don't want to do it by hand broadcasting, there's plenty of spreaders around at a range of prices which could be utilised with your existing quad.

With regard to topping, you're going to require something designed for towing by a quad and with its own separate power source. With 3.5 acres to do, there are plenty of machines out there capable of handling that acreage without  breaking the bank.
For example; http://www.logictoday.co.uk/app/assets/media/products/trm/trm.mp4

If you go down the tractor route, then yes - you've got more versatility, and a machine with more capability. But again, with 3.5 acres there is no need to go over the top expense wise. Something like this with suitable attachments, would be more than adequate;
http://www.ctm-ltd.co.uk/index.php/goldoni-tractors/4-wheel-tractors/base-20/
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:04:39 pm »
Oh I looooove that trm quad topper! Can't find a price anywhere tho which  prob means we cane afford it! :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »
About £2.5K FiB, which means we can't either. Shame - I'm so sick of topping fields with our wee push mower - it takes forever!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:01 pm »
Depends on how energetic you are versus how rich you are. I have 4 1/2 acres and whilst I might dream of having every gizmo to make lifeceasier its just not economically viable so I top with either brush cutter blade on my strimmer or scythe it and spread fert or lime by hand. As stated earlier some fertilisercis available in smaller bags. For 3 1/2 acres the most feet you're likely to spread in one go is 7cwt or 350kg and you're also struggle to find anyone delivering 600 kg without having to pay a premium. I sell bulk feet for a living and anyone with less than 60acres is usually better off collecting it them selves. Welcome by the way

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »
About £2.5K FiB, which means we can't either. Shame - I'm so sick of topping fields with our wee push mower - it takes forever!!
It's scythe and strummer for us  :relief: ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »
You scythe FiB, I'll strum ;-)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:30 am »
 :roflanim: Blimmin I pad!  Don't do no strumming myself... Makes my hands go numb. I love my scythe... But have been daydreaming a lot about this mower!!! Lottery..... But do agree with others here, not necessary unless you have tens of acres (and certainly not business case able ). We have 12 acres and manage ok with a knackered £400 quad ( and that's a luxury, but moving 8 tonnes of firewood UP to the house each year was a daily grind.... Kept me fit though) and nothing else.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:59:19 am »
:roflanim: Blimmin I pad!  Don't do no strumming myself... Makes my hands go numb. I love my scythe... But have been daydreaming a lot about this mower!!! Lottery..... But do agree with others here, not necessary unless you have tens of acres (and certainly not business case able ). We have 12 acres and manage ok with a knackered £400 quad ( and that's a luxury, but moving 8 tonnes of firewood UP to the house each year was a daily grind.... Kept me fit though) and nothing else.

WOW Fib
My mate paid 4500 for his topper and he only has 4 acres

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:56:59 pm »
Try  MDLPowerup.com, my towed flail mower tops very nicely and only cost £1200 delivered to my door.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »
My mate paid 4500 for his topper and he only has 4 acres

But how long will it take you to return £4500 profit from 4 acres to pay for the investment?  That's the trouble - much as I'd love a topper, unless it's under £500, I simply can't justify it as I CAN do the job with a mower and strimmer - it just takes a lot longer.

Rekrab

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:36 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, been away in England for a few weeks.

Thanks for all the replies, It has pushed me in the direction of getting a tractor setup. When pricing up second hand equipment (Tractor Vs Quad) there was a huge difference in price.

A local dealer could source a small tractor, topper and fertilizer spreader for £3100.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS