Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Business Plans and Planning Permission  (Read 4583 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Business Plans and Planning Permission
« on: July 21, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »
Hello folks,

We have a chance of 5 acres of highly secluded woodland and rough grazing in Scotland for the purposes of building an off-grid house.  We've done all our homework on building a straw-bale house (technically a temporary dwelling), sourced funding for renewable energy sources and developed plans that will genuinely sustain our lifestyle.

However, the Planning department have two issues - firstly, the access track is poor and requires a 4x4 (this does not concern us).  Secondly, they want evidence to demonstrate that we can be economically viable, rather than self-sufficient, and want business plans produced by an independent agricultural consultant to prove it.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, are there any creative ways around it?  The value of the land itself is not great, but having it opens up so many opportunities...

Thanks in advance,
Lynn

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Business Plans and Planning Permission
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:40:25 pm »
From experience with planning departments if they want a report from a professional you have no option but to get it.

As to the track - they will be looking forward to future occupants, not just yourselves.  Even though it isn't a problem for you, a number of years down the line others may live there, and there is also the problem of getting  necessities to you along that track. You could try to persuade them that for now the track will suffice - (would your house building requisites get down there for instance?) - and that a condition of consent would be that you put in a proper serviceable road of some sort within say 5 years.

It sounds great so I wish you all the best luck in the world.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:43 pm »
Hmmm, that's interesting.  We'd expected that there would be an automatic agricultural tie, so there wouldn't necessarily be any future inhabitants.

Don't suppose anyone has used agricultural or permacultural consultant in Scotland, have they?  Any recommendations?

Lynn x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »
Hmmm, that's interesting.  We'd expected that there would be an automatic agricultural tie, so there wouldn't necessarily be any future inhabitants.

Don't suppose anyone has used agricultural or permacultural consultant in Scotland, have they?  Any recommendations?

Lynn x
Yes, I'd agree there may well be an agri tie - but that doesn't mean it'll always be you
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:55:10 pm »
Only just seen this.
Our friends had a similar situation when they built a wooden house off grid, and the reason given for the required track improvements was..........so a fire engine could get there ::)
In the event of an emergency, the track had to be good enough to take emergency vehicles. :sofa: .

It took several years and heaps of bureaucracy, but they are now, legally, living in their home on their dream land. ;D   Good luck with your plans too.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:33:28 pm »

These people are good.

www.[/size]newlandowner[/color][/size].co.uk/[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]I haven't used them for planning permission but they seem to have a good track record. [/color]
[/size]They advised us about getting our overgrown land into shape when we first bought it. Very experienced and helpful.[/color]

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:18 am »
Hello again folks,

I'm aware that this post is over six months' old now...  We lost out on this piece of land and are now considering another similar site.

Planning have immediately said 'no' because of the access track.  We think it's fine.  They're also unclear about how to deal with sustainable living plans as they've never done it before.

We're looking for an independent planning consultant with rural experience in Scotland.  We can't afford Savills or Bell Ingram!  Someone suggested NewLandOwner, but they've now closed.  Can anyone help??

Lynn

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:51:57 pm »
When we had quotes from Agri consultants they were around 10k

I'd suggest reading chapter 7 just google it.

Temporary dwelling, agri tie, AOC, FWD, sustainable home are all very different. require very different approaches. I'd suggest you do a little more research and decide which route you wish to take.

In England straw bale home is not classed as a temporary dwelling, getting planning under the sustainable homes directive isn't overly difficult.

There are ways around the track/driveway estimated cost being 55k but it does overcome the planners concerns.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 01:51:12 pm »
Thanks AndynJ,

We have read chapter 7, F2F, etc, etc, and have decided that we want to pursue a smallholding based on permaculture principles.  Long story short, some local authorites in Scotland accept what we are doing but refer to it differently - ie, Eco-development, sustainable development, etc.  they all come from the same Scottish Government Policy.  We don't need to do a little more research...

I was asking if anyone could recommend a planning consultant in Central Scotland?? We have a good case to argue, but just need to find a retired planner who's moonlighting!!

Lynn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS