Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed control in new grass ley  (Read 2390 times)

Mr Micawber

• Joined Jul 2014
Weed control in new grass ley
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:13 am »
We had about 4 acres of land drained by our local contractor earlier in the year, the idea being to improve the land for horse grazing. We let the whole lot settle for a bit before leveling the lot off, power harrowing, reseeding with a good non rye grass mix and rolling. The weather has been ideal so the grass, although slower than rye, is doing well including a few bits that came up a bit patchy so had a bit more seed added around 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately the weeds are also having a field day and while we've been hand pulling this is becoming a bit of a losing battle so we are currently targeting anything that is showing signs of seeding. As yet I've not found a suitable selective weedkiller that would be usable on such young grass but would welcome any advice in this regard.

Thanks

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
Re: Weed control in new grass ley
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:46 am »
If the newly seeded area was established, I'd possibly suggest using Grazon. If, as it would appear, the weeds are overtaking the grass growth, I'd consider using Pastor Selective Herbicide but, ideally you'll need to identify what weeds are growing as to what the best solution would be for eradicating them.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Mr Micawber

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Weed control in new grass ley
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Docks & nettles primarily but there's a range of other stuff making itself known too.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS