Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead  (Read 2466 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Dead
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »
I found my beautiful Orpington cockerel dead this morning. He was still warm so not long happened. Looked as if he just fell off his perch. I got him about two months ago, just coming up to a year old and has been fit and healthy. No sign of illness. Very upsetting as he was very tame and lovely to have about the place. Could it have been his heart ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Dead
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:01:01 pm »
Poor chap  :( We lost one of our Leghorn hens like that - found her dead in the field, just keeled over. Good way to go I suppose.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:42:39 pm »
 :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 06:55:16 pm »
 :hug: so sorry.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:00:05 pm »
I would generally suspect heart problems if the flock is otherwise healthy and he's shown no sign of ill health since you had him.  Sometimes you see them looking a bit thoughtful or with a bluish tinge to the comb, nothing to be done.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  :bouquet: :bouquet: :hug:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 06:34:50 am »
We've had quite a few birds do that over the years Sabrina. They all had blue combs, so probably a heart attack I have been advised.

Still, it comes as a big shock to lose a young cockerel like that -especially an Orpington, which are robust birds I thought. All ours have got past 6 years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS