Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: starling pests  (Read 1955 times)

Mount-B

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Nr Cupar
starling pests
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:55:22 am »
Hi, can anyone suggest a way of scaring starlings away from my hen feeders and drinkers. They are making a huge mess and fouling feed and water. I have an ad hoc feeder for the hens so that might be the problem. Any thoughts, suggestions gratefully received.????

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: starling pests
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:51:01 am »
This doesn't really answer your question, but I quite like nipple drinkers and am moving towards them as more hygienic.

Mount-B

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Nr Cupar
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
I had considered them how do they manage through the winter?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »
Yeah... Not got that far with them yet! Probably badly!

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:33:24 pm »
We have this problem in the winter, they seem to go away for the summer. Tried shooting at them but this didn`t work anyway.  A radio on during the day worked for a time but kept forgetting to switch it on, or changing the batteries. Made myself a scarecrow with a bright pink hat, man sized, called her Gloria, and put it next to the pop hole.  This worked quite well and the chucks thought she was harmless and ignored her,  my chucks are bombproof anyway.  Put the scarecrow in the shed for the summer and out she will come when the starlings come back for the winter.  Hope it works again this year.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:57:09 pm »
just be aware that starlings are reservoirs for gapeworm so keep on top of your worming. I lost 4 (3 after treating-8 were showing signs in total)hens to it this year and they had been wormed already this year.We have a lot of starlings and crows :(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:29 am »
We used to have a problem with them until we put the feeders inside the coops.

Mount-B

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Nr Cupar
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »
Thanks, for the comments, I have changed out the feeder for a larger top hat type and that appears to have helped. I'll have to keep an eye on things and see how it goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS