Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price renting grazzing land  (Read 9005 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Price renting grazzing land
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:39:46 am »
Hi,what is a fair price to pay rental for a couple of fields for grazing sheep.One is 2 acres the other is 1.5 acres.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Price renting grazzing land
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:28:00 am »
We renting next door from our farm, it's approx 12 acres and we got it for £300 a year.  But we also got to try n put an old shed back together in that deal too...swings n roundabouts  eh x

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:39:24 am »
We try and barter a little with our rentals, just had hay off about three/four acres and paid in fresh pork and lamb. Or we have paid half in cash half in meat before.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 01:25:39 pm »
12 acres for £300 for a year, that's good.

Around here, its around £75 an acre minimum.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 01:49:18 pm »
£100 an acre norm here

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:50:52 pm »
£75 pa here
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 06:17:02 pm »
We pay £200 Per acre for 6 acres next to the house, around here thats an enormous amount ,standard for grazing with good fencing and water is about £90 per acre per year.ours has less than great fencing and no water .The owner of the land originally told us £100 per acre but then said as she had spent more on the grass seed than she thought she would have to she upped it to what we are paying now .Is there anything we can do ?  Not really  . Does it make my blood boil ? OH YES.. Moral of this story is land for rent is worth what YOU are prepared to pay ,there are no hard and fast prices .there may be standard for the area but if you want / need it you'll pay well over the odds for it.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:18 pm »
The problem with paying over the odds for land because you really want it, is that it fixes the price at that level, it very rarely will go down. So effectively it can push up the prices in the surrounding area. It happens a lot here with horsey folk, willing to pay silly money, that you just can't pay for sheep.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 08:57:44 am »
Whilst i fully understand the theory of prices being bumped what should we do ???

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 08:59:59 am »
Whilst i fully understand the theory of prices being bumped what should we do ???

I would call their bluff and say you've got options elsewhere for cheaper.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:44 am »
Portalauren, you haven't seen the state of the shed haha x

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:26:26 am »
Fairplay! I've had some cheap land in exchange for fencing. There is usually a way around it!

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 09:32:23 am »
At the end of the day, rental grazing is only worth what someone is willing to pay!
You also must look at the economics. If I've got a paddock available for rent on a short term grazing agreement, the chances are I'll not achieve the same income by having x number of sheep per acre as I would if renting to a horse owner.

On the other hand, sheep are less likely to damage the land therefore at the end of the rental period there is less likelihood of expensive maintenance being necessary. Fencing generally needs to be more escape proof for sheep, and while the agreement can contain clauses regarding maintenance and repair, there needs to be reasonable fencing in place to start with.

To benefit the land generally, we'll also cross-graze alternating with sheep, horses, and cattle, all on short term grazing agreements, followed by a rest period.
Prices will vary accordingly, but I guarantee there will be more people seeking rentals than there are rentals available!.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:49:35 am »
Fencing? What's that ol, well there is a perimeter fence, but all the interior ones have been eaten by the sea air lol x

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »
Hi, thanks for all the replys.I will offer £70 per acre and see where it takes me.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS