Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suffolks  (Read 2111 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Suffolks
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:40 pm »
Anyone on here have experience with suffolks?  Rams in particular.  thankyou!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Suffolks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:52:41 pm »
Rams can be quite big but reasonably docile.  Steer clear of rams with big heads and legs - big lambs probably contribute to the repuation some ewes have for being "too posh to push".  In my opinion they just get tired out!   You sometimes see the lambs with dirty backsides but I think this is more to do with an inadequate worming regime than any inherent problem with the breed.

Still a very popular sire on the Wlesh Mules around here - not so many lambing problems as the Texel and Beltex and tougher lambs than the Charollais.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
thank you.  my Romney ram has been really ill and i am questioning whether i will get enough condition on him in time to go in with my girls in the autumn. Have a local farmer who breeds pedigree suffolks and i could get a ram lamb off him, they lamb in feb so i could use him this year on my wee flock.  I have a mixture of romneys, welsh, suffolk x and coradales.  I just dont want to use something that is going to cause me problems at lambing.  my romney tup has produced unassisted twins every year and i am a bit nervous of moving away from a romney.  Sadly there are no local romney flocks for me to get another ram.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:36 pm »
I don't find the ram affects how the ewes deliver. I have a Suffolk ram and put him on Wilts xSouthdown, Suffolk, mules and a pure Wiltshire. Only ones I had trouble with were pure Suffolk ewes.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:19:40 am »
I've had Suffolk rams and Suffolk cross ewes and had no issues at all. Lambed easily and got up and going alone.

I must say my Charollais have out shone my Suffolk sired lambs and the Suffolk's have a lot more bone. I would highly recommend charollais, I haven't had any issues with lambing, they are not fussy about what they eat and the 'lack of wool' I think is a bit of a myth as one of the best breeders is based in northern Scotland on very harsh land and weather!

But the suffolks are a good choice too :) Go for it!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS