Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lemon balm ice cream help!!  (Read 3372 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Lemon balm ice cream help!!
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:14:58 pm »
Hi,
I would like to use some of my lemon balm in a ice cream, I have looked at recipes online and they are all for ice cream made with cream that you have to heat and infuse the lemon balm before churning, the recipe I like to use has evaporated milk as the base, and you don't heat it, I am unsure if just chopping the lemon balm and chucking it in will work or if I should infuse it in a small amount of sugar syrup which when cool could be added to the ice cream.
Anyone know if either of the methods would work ----- I'm being lazy by asking on here, but I'd hate to make a batch and find out it didn't work.
Regards,
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Lemon balm ice cream help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
I am sure it would work, but you won't get the intensity of flavour that heating the milk and infusing the balm would achieve is my guess.  Sounds lovely though.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »
maybe grind in a pestle and mortar and add a tiny bit of hot water/milk before adding to the recipe?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »
Only just seen this.  Will go and look out my old recipe for mint ice cream which is much the same as lemon balm.  I'll be back later (off to watch my barn owls ;D )

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »
Abbreviated recipe for mint ice cream, but I think lemon balm would work too.  Taken from Calendar Cookbook by Katie Stewart circa 1976 ::)
4oz caster sugar
1/4 pint water
1 teacup mint leaves , stripped from the stems
juice 1/2 lemon
1/2 pint double cream
Dissolve sugar in water and bring to boil.
Wash mint leaves, place in blender, then pour over hot syrup and blend briefly.  Leave until quite cold then strain into a basin.
Add strained juice of 1/2 lemon and stir in cream.  Whisk, and maybe add green food colouring ( :o ).
Then freeze as usual for ice cream.

So basically the method you would use  :thumbsup: but substituting evap. for double cream.
From memory I think it was important to strain the syrup or you ended up with yucky bits of leaf :P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS