Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creating craft from your animals/produce  (Read 18812 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Creating craft from your animals/produce
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:04:43 pm »
I just had an idea does anyone actually uses 'stuff' from their animals to create in to a craft ? eg sheep wool to spin then make in to jumper etc.
Linz

I don't have any animal unless you class the kids but i am in the process of getting my herbs to make smellies etc.

rustyme

Re: Creating craft from your animals/produce
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:21:04 pm »
Hello Linz,
             once everything is up and running ok I will be using all sorts of stuff for practical crafts. Things like willow baskets from willow grown on the land also I will use the willow for repairing the river bank where it is getting washed away and also to make charcoal ,that will then in turn get used to fire the forge which in turn allows me to recycle scap metal from old cars and the like . The charcoal will also supply fuel to run my foundry that can melt scrap aluminium , from empty drink cans to damaged car wheels , the resulting ali will allow me to make my metal turning lathe based on plans by the late Dave Gingery .The willow and Hazel will also go into making wattle hurdles for fencing etc as well as fuel for the wood burner. Straw from crops grown will supply bedding for animals but also I can use the straw to make bee skeps and small useful baskets. The bees will supply wax for all sorts of stuff , from polish to candles lip balm and some cosmetics. I have only been able to make use of small amounts of most stuff as I have been setting everything up , but things should really start to take off from this year on ...fingers crossed. I hope also to make small amounts of thread from linnen and hemp to make strings for my longbow. I will also be making some small bits and bobs with my pole lathe , well really it is a bungie cord lathe . A lovely thing to use with green wood . Hardly any noise , very safe and with the wood from the land FREE ....I do like that word....FREE.....So I will be doing these things mainly for myself because I want to but also to sell any surplus and see how things go .  If I decide to get some sheep I will spin the wool , I made a spinning wheel on my pole lathe, and when we first moved to Wales , my late Mum wanted to learn how to spin but couldn't get the hang of it . So I learned and then taught her . She then got far better than me , but I can at least spin well enough to get usable knitting yarn from . I would then like to get an old Dubied knitting machine , big old cast iron hand operated thing, and make my own jumpers . I used to work in a knitting factory as a knitting machine operator. I can also then use some of the wool to make felt and even to make some rugs/carpets. Making them passes away winter evenings just right , a nice cup of tea in front of a wood fire with the dogs all round soaking up the heat ...lovely. So there are some things that I do now and some that I have done and a few that are yet to be done. Should keep me busy for a bit....

cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:23:09 pm by rustyme »

Liese

• Joined Dec 2007
  • near Yanceyville, North Carolina, US
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:42:03 pm »
We shear our own sheep and then I wash and card it to spin for yarn to sell, knit and weave.  Sometimes I card in some of the llama fiber or the angora and othertimes I dye the fleeces in different ways and card for multicoloured yarns. This winter I am hoping to do some rug weaving with both spun yarns and fleece locks.   Some of our goat milk I make into soap that I also sell at the farmer's market. I just stick to basics in the soap making - scented or non, oatmeal & honey and my fav -Tar.  I also tried selling goat's milk fudge for the holidays - people were eager to sample but not to buy.  And making fudge is so weather dependent that I've given up on it.  The failed batches tho make great sauce for cake.  This year we had a terrible drought so the berries just shriveled up but the year before I bottled up several jars of raspberry sauce.  But here to sell I'd have to have an inspected/commercial style kitchen so these kinds of goodies have to be enjoyed just at home.  I am constantly on the look out for ways to help cover the farm expenses.
Liese, Little Meadows Farm, NC
fleece & goat milk soap

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:27:01 pm »
Since we've got three sheep now and wil have fleeces in the summer, I'd like to learn to do something useful with them. A friend of ours soins, felts and knits so she's offered to help. However, as I have two left hands (and feet when it comes to dancing), I'm not sure I'll be much good at it.

The Ryelands are such lovely colours though - I'd love a jumper from their fleeces.

Liese

• Joined Dec 2007
  • near Yanceyville, North Carolina, US
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:53:40 am »
Rosemary, with someone right there to help you learn I'll bet you take right to it!  Do you knit now?  When I got my wheel I would sit at it treadling and knitting so as to get comfortable and to learn to slow down my foot!  Here in the states we  have small wool processing places that will take your washed wool, card and even spin it into yarn.  I haven't done that myself but for folks who like knitting better than spinning it works. When do you do shearing there?  We will be shearing our flock in March - I do them standing up on a stand we built. My best time is 45 min. but we all have frequent breaks with water and cookies!
Liese, Little Meadows Farm, NC
fleece & goat milk soap

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:20:19 am »
yes as Liese says ,you will take to it without too many problems Rosemary. The thing to do is just think to yourself I want to do it ...I can do it ...I WILL do it....and it really will happen. Although I can't hand knit now ,I did learn as a kid, and managed to make a scarf , well of sorts .. ;D Spinning is easy to get the hang of ,as long as you have a good wheel , once you have the basics it is just a matter of refinement in technique to get really good yarn. The best thing is to get someone who already spins to try a bit of your fleece first , as some can be more difficult than others to spin. 
        45 min to shear , I think you could well have me beat there......I have only done a couple of dozen with hand shears ,and that was when I was in my 20's. I did a few with a shearing machine they were much faster if a bit ragged...lol. I had a huge car accident years ago and smashed my self to bits , so don't think I could shear to well at all now.....bending for more than a few moments is murder.....The thing to remember though is if you want to do something ...you can .....at the very least , give it a go , and then you can decide if it is for you or not. Good luck whatever you decide .

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 01:06:29 pm »
I can tell you all if you and spin then i am really sure that you can pole lathe and vice a verca. I find it very easy to do,  I don't have great co-ordernation skills either. I used to demonstrate pole lathe turning with my parents at craft fairs. I can also wood turn (on eltetric lathe)and spin (my dad did make me a spinning wheel but with being in a 3 bed-room, 5 adults council house not much room). so they have kept it at there house and now uses it for samples for when they do spinning fairs.
I havn't had a chance to do much this year as i have been travelling to and from wales a lot and at 800 round trip of each time, but still what to make herb pouches and smelly things form herbs.

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:04:11 pm »
yes it is a bit like tapping your head and rubbing your belly ...(or is it the other way round ?) either way ....if you can drive a car then you can spin or pole lathe to . My pole lathe is burried in the shed at the moment, but as soon as I shift all the stuff down to the new workshed I will set it up and get cracking making some dining chairs for the house.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »
hehe
I like 'bodging' on the pole lathe

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 09:11:57 pm »
There is loads of stuff you can do with fleeces, peglooming, dyeing, felting, etc as well as the traditional spinning and knitting. I started all my woolly projects over the years because I had a glut of it and didn't know what to do with it all!!
I am not a good knitter but just love doing creative stuff withfleece. Will add more when not tired ;)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:27 am »
:) thanks for posting your links i had a nosy at them just now and their lovely,

Would lovely to see more of your picture
Linz

willingtonweaver

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 10:07:46 am »
Have any of you tried the "Knitters Loom", it's a rigid heddle loom, but with big holes and slits!  It was designed for knitters using the modern chunky yarns.  It's ideal for spinner to use their lovely textured yarns.  I often use mine with my hand spun.  They aren't cheap, but if you can buy the rigid heddle bit, I'm sure the resourseful among you could knock up the wooden frame part.  There are plenty of pictures of the loom on the net for you to copy.  The beauty of it is that you can produce quality woven articles that are saleable. 

Woops, sounds like I'm preaching ;D  I'm just an enthusiastic spinner, weaver and dyer ;)

Alison

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:41:05 am »
i'll have to have a look for the basic to whom to make these. Also will pass on to parents :)
Linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS