Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Age for breeding tup  (Read 10672 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Age for breeding tup
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:51:15 am »
I had a nice tup lamb born 30th March. As a single, he's quite well grown and all his bits seem to be "appropriate". I thought he might as well do something useful this autumn so he's at my chums with four ewes and his wether companion. He's been out now for about two weeks and had done nothing. Carol's big ram, who's in the adjacent field, has covered all his ewes.

Is there something wrong with Bud or are we being too impatient this time? Or is he just too young to be working?

Help!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Age for breeding tup
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:20:04 am »
must be toyoung what breed is he. our shetland was only just up to the job last year. they can be shy you know. ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 06:07:59 pm »
He's a coloured Ryeland. Any videos we could let him watch?  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 06:22:43 pm »
How do you know he hasn't been busy? ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:08:24 pm »
He's got a ram harness on with a keel marker and none of the ewes have coloured bums.  :(

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:06:40 pm »
Unless the ewes were teased, they may not start cycling until the ram's been in for a fortnight.
Wouldn't recommend using a harness on a tup lamb. Ok for a mature animal, but a bit off-putting for a youngster. Put some raddle paste on his chest (or make your own by mixing powder paints with margarine or oil).
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:36 pm »
they can be really shy. and they do take there time to cover the ewes. so unless you don't mind waiting for a month or two borrow a randy old sheep.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:25:01 pm »
I used a ram lamb last year with 3ewes, 1 had lambed before and two not. The older ewe and one of the
younger ewes lambed the other ewe was probably too big for him last year, but not this.

This year I am using two ram lambs on a complete mixed age group of ewes. 1 I have seen working and the other is more laid back he only comes out to play at night.

I would agree about using a ram harness on a lamb. Use a raddle powder or smother his chest with a crayon.

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:16:56 pm »
how many times would you expect the ram to cover a ewe? Is a little crayon marking okay or should it be very well marked?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 03:12:00 pm »
It varies - they are all individuals. Some tups mark heavily, others don't. The weather can make a difference too. Wet sheep don't mark well and crayons are softer, so mark heavier when it is warm.

As to how many times you can expect a tup to mate a ewe, again it depends. If a ram has lots of ewes in season at the same time and they are all queuing up, then not many.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:21 am »
Our ram lambs seem to do the job ok at about a year old. I remember putting a load of cull ewes in with them and they got them all in lamb.  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 08:16:59 am »
I use 7 month old ram lambs and expect them to get 30+ out of 50 in lamb in 10 days

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 09:10:51 am »
I used a Coloured Ryeland lamb on my 5 ewes last year. 1 hadn't lambed before but it was the second time for the others. 4 out of the 5 had twins and the other a single.
The lad done well  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
If he's in with older ewes they'll probably seek him out.  First-timersf are better with an older ram, unless you don't mind an extended lambing period..

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:25:47 am »
I have a 7 month old charmoise ram lamb and he covered all 7 of his in the first week, I put paint on his chest but not a harness

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS