Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whats on your smallholding wish list???  (Read 10209 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Whats on your smallholding wish list???
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 09:47:25 am »
just acquired a 7th one: (likely to double up as a rant)

7 NO NEIGHBOURS   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My neighbours are lovely as a rule and not sure this isn't partly me descending into total social isolationism and bad tempered old sod mode- but nonetheless
Took this week off work to try to tackle the fairly major ongoing restoration of our garden involving much wall building and slab laying. Brother in law and family descends for the first 3 days without warning- spends 3 days giving me much needed instruction despite the fact that the last time he indulged in anything approaching physical work the old king was probably still on the throne. despite his considerable verbal expertise seemed congenitally incapable of keeping his pesky kids off my new laid slabs so gave it up as a bad job till he'd gone.

At last yesterday morning a free run at it- oh no- neighbours drains have collapsed under our lane- spent all of the morning bailing buckets and buckets of guess what, dismantled our fence and rebuilt it so he could get digger in and eventually got to patio building at about lunchtime. spent all afternoon in baking sun mixing cement and hauling concrete slabs- kept my dogs tied up out the way to avoid any accidents. just finished when another neighbour ( who shares the drain in question but despite having the day off work took his kids to the beach while I spent hours covered in his families' sh*t) appears with his hoofing great hound- all over the slabs just laid (dog and neighbour, despite their being plastic sheeting all over it and barricades all round it). By this morning several slabs have been knocked askew and have got to take them up and do it again.
Not finished yet. needed to move a couple of sheep with lambs down to a fresh bit of ground at the end of our lane- normally our sheep are easy to move around but this morning with the lambs being a bit all over the place they were playing silly buggers. eventually got them going the right way while my other neighbour watched me get hot and sweaty- and then, just as they got near him, within 10 feet., he starts up his bloody drill- cue swift about turn and all galloped headlong back past me and up the lane to where they'd just come from and back into the field. oh I can swear !!!!!- bucket still where I threw it and sheep not where I wanted them- BLOODY PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 that's slightly better !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 10:44:14 am »
Mair coos  :hugcow:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »
Devonlad, it sounds like you are a better neighbour than they are.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 08:16:00 pm »
thanks MGoM- you're right  ;D

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 10:12:00 pm »
Energy.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »
Immunity from prosecution

Singer

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 01:53:42 pm »
My wishlist would include a large and already prepared for planting large fruit and vegetable area that would remain free of slugs and snails forever. Maybe then some bees that would never chase or sting me and a wildlife pond. Failing that perhaps an extra weekend mid-week?

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 11:24:11 am »
More time and energy to do everthing and that my OH loved  :dog: as much as me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS