Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: age for breeding ewes  (Read 3794 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
age for breeding ewes
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:08:23 pm »
can anyone shed any light on what age is good to start breeding ewe lambs from? I was told over 12 months old but some of the web stuff I've seen states they can lamb at that age.
Please help

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: age for breeding ewes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »
they are better at there second season. but our ram sneaked in and the yearling were fine.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:14:42 pm »
There are some people who breed from hogg (tupped as a lamb i.e before their first birthday) then lambed the following spring but i think this stunts the future growth of the ewe and (I've heard) can be difficult to lamb if there is too much winter forage around (big lambs).

We don't do this although as with the previous reply we did have one go play with the boys one year. she was always the smallest ewe in the flock after that
Ian

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:29:16 pm »
Tuppence, one of my ewes was born february 2008, tupped in autumn, lambed twins the following april (2009). She and her lambs were the biggest of the flock, she had no problems lambing and was a fat as a piggy at tupping and over the winter. She just went against all the rules....there always has to be one!
But does show that 'rules' dont work when it comes to animals!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »
when we lamb our gimmers (1st time lambers) we always HOPE for twins as in general it means the lambs will be smaller and (in theory) an easier lambing. As you say rules don't work when it comes to animals
Ian

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »
Too many variables to give an informed answer on so little information, but in general I would say leave them until they are shearlings.

(Edit: Note from OH. Ewe lambs should only be bred from in their first year if they've reached 60% of their expected adult weight by tupping time).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 03:58:12 pm by VSS »
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:08:49 pm »
hey VSS
that sounds like a good rule of thumb! at last something we can all relate to!
Will bear that in mind when i make my mind up about this years ewe lamb. Although gives me a headache if i have to seperate her from all the other ewes cos she is the only lamb. She is big mind you.

Anyway, will fall with welfare over convenience everytime!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS