Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Learning to knit ?  (Read 44209 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: . Learning to knit ?
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »
Good idea but I only have the one ball of wool so even if I used different needles (they'd have to be a different size) I'd end up with twice the cost, and I'm really not sure how committed I am at this point.  It's good to have a social thing to get me to do the craft stuff, most of what I could do here, I have to do alone and don't get on with it if there's weeding or animal stuff to do instead..  which there always is ;)

There is a lifeline in where I am just now - so I also have to be careful not to get it caught up when/if I start on the next row.

It honestly was well meant, and they could see my frustration I'm sure.  It just doesn't occur to folk that the favour they're doing isn't really helping you just fixing an immediate and obvious (to them) problem..  I just feel more stupid.  Trouble is, if someone was struggling to tack up a pony or something I could do easily, there would come a point I couldn't explain well enough and it would be easier to do it myself and get them up and riding.  So I don't suppose I'd be any better.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
Ellie, you don't need another ball of wool.  If you started the ball from the outside, start again using the loose end on the inside, or vice versa. It would probably be easier to break the yarn though otherwise you will get yourself in a mess. I know this because I have done it  ;D

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:08 am »
A wee update as I went to the group yesterday and made progress, with a couple of saves from my chief mentor who I insisted took half a dozen eggs home as a thankyou gift tho she offered to pay for them ::)  We have now sussed where my most common mistake is in the pattern repeats so I hope I am now doing better because I have started doing rows at home on my own for the first time since that initial 18 attempts at row 6 the first time around :o  I now have rows 5, 6 and 9 repeating at regular intervals so getting lots of practice.

Last night I found myself knitting with the TV on - luckily not something demanding 100% attention as I was somewhat distracted, but it felt like channelling my mum, very weird :o  I may be making the same mistake every other row, but the piece is definitely growing and I think there is a strong risk of developing a hunch if I can't find a more relaxed position cos I currently crouch over the needles like some kind of gargoyle except when the TV is on when I am leaning further back to see bits of the action and follow dialogue for the rest ;)

I have also spotted some rather nice Noro yarn in shades of green, there's also an autumn coppers one I fancy but the green one needs a plan for later :o  It's thicker than what I'm using just now which is sock wool, so I also have to start looking for easy patterns suitable for something a bit more chunky than DK.. 

Is this infectious?  I appear to have the cold in July so maybe am susceptible to other bugs right now but this one has just shifted from frustrating and disappointing failure to frustrating and determined persistence and heading for a full out new obsession.

Knitting and woodworking, hmm a balanced personality at last? ;D
Ellie Douglas Therapist

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2014, 08:40:41 am »
Ellie, thats a great update and I am so pleased that you persevered as it seems to be paying off. If you don't want it to be an obsession STOP NOW but I fear it is too late as you are already checking out other yarn. It won't be long before you have a stash to compete with the rest of us  ;D
keep  :knit: :knit: :knit: :knit: .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2014, 08:54:24 am »
Great news  :thumbsup:

WELL DONE for not giving up, and for going back to the group  :hug:

And Uh-ohhh... welcome to the slippery slope!   :knit: :excited: mwahhhahahaha
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2014, 08:58:41 am »
Well done, we need more obsessed knitters!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2014, 09:08:12 am »
Ellie, just a thought but perhaps the progress in knitting goes hand in hand with the pony news I.e. It put you in a better frame of mind and more able to concentrate.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2014, 11:53:44 am »

Is this infectious?

Oh yes it is!  ;D

I'm addicted to knitting socks... I've the wardrobe full of them, another bag of yarn waiting to be processed, and keep finding new yarns that just "need" to find a home with me... ::)

Congratulations on your progress!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:00 am »
Gah, completed a row 6 repeat last night and found 3 stitches at the end past the marker where there should have been 2.  Think I sorted it (in that there are now two, tho I don't know if it's the right two!) but not sure if there is something else going wrong so I will have to wait for Tuesday now to be sure before going any further.  And now I can't, I want to ::)

Could well be pony related good mood that has boosted everything.  Tuesday was certainly a very good day and I got the good news by text during the knitting group, tho I'd dashed out to shift my car as someone had spotted the traffic wardens who only come every few months or so but cause mayhem each time!   Everything seems a little brighter for knowing Ribh is in good hands and tho the photos don't look like the pony I sent away, it is at least a live pony and recognisable as mine.  I hadn't realised quite how huge the weight of guilt and worry had been, it was just one of many worries but clearly a larger one than I gave credit for. 

The more likely immediate cause of my mistake yesterday is that I've had the cold since Tuesday too, and am a little under the weather so that may also account for the lack of concentration, but I didn't feel up to doing very much else and thought another row or two might occupy my time profitably.. ::)  Should have known ;)

Ina, I had a friend whose mother used to knit me socks - the first were a christmas gift and after that I provided her with a ball of wool once a year and she did the socks when she had the need for knitting socks!  Sadly her daughter and I aren't on such good terms these days so I have no new socks til I can knit some myself.  That feels a long way off but I have to admit to the ambition to have a go one day :o  When/if I get to that point, no doubt I'll be bothering you for advice every few minutes ;) 

My own mum was addicted to children's jumpers - sent them away to any ongoing charity appeal, be it Romanian orphanages, African disaster appeals or Tsunami, earthquake or war related events around the globe, there are probably children whose parents handed down my mum's knitting to them by now :)  Sadly I wasn't keen on wearing scratchy wool in the days when I actually fitted her chosen addiction style, but I do still have a couple of wee cardis she made me and they're treasured.  Maybe there is a charity appeal that would love a donation of socks and provide wool for you from their donations from others, so that you aren't put out financially by your generosity of time?  I picture African children wearing mum's sweaters kept for them by their mothers who received them in some Oxfam pack a couple of decades ago - maybe they could also have a pair of your socks on :)

Can anyone tell me what Noro wool needs in terms of a pattern, what it might make that isn't too scary and preferably doesn't have to end up a particular size within a specific number of rows let alone match another similar piece as a pair?
Ellie Douglas Therapist

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

Ina, I had a friend whose mother used to knit me socks - the first were a christmas gift and after that I provided her with a ball of wool once a year and she did the socks when she had the need for knitting socks!  Sadly her daughter and I aren't on such good terms these days so I have no new socks til I can knit some myself.  That feels a long way off but I have to admit to the ambition to have a go one day :o  When/if I get to that point, no doubt I'll be bothering you for advice every few minutes ;)   

Can anyone tell me what Noro wool needs in terms of a pattern, what it might make that isn't too scary and preferably doesn't have to end up a particular size within a specific number of rows let alone match another similar piece as a pair?
I only started on socks a couple of years ago. I shyed away from a set of dpns (double pointed needles) for sooo long, but now I'm hooked on those too. When you buy multicoloured sock wool I love the way the colours come up in a pattern when you knit socks.
Noro wool - what Noro wool have you got? they do lots of sock wool but other stuff too. I made a fabulous shawl for my sister from Noro sock wool. Fantastic colours and it was very easy. It was crochet though, not knitting, but great as it doesn't have to be a particular size. If you want that pattern let me know. Its in a book but I am sure I could get it scanned for you.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
It's still in the shop but keeps looking at me :o  I would say it's more than DK heading toward chunky but my memory isn't great.  There are 2 colours at least that I want to have a go with, one is various shades of green, the other an autumn colours mix with some purple through the coppers.  I have a couple of shawl patterns after the one I am doing, but they're for sock wool on larger needles than sock wool usually knits on for socks, apparently, to help it drape?  Don't ask me I'm just doing what I'm told!  But I do like the random colours coming and going, makes it more interesting than a plain shawl without my life getting more complicated ;)

Crochet is another step, perhaps I should stick to this for a while, but thanks :)

PS I think I have sorted the problem, done another set of holes that look pretty good, and am on the straight rows between which is where they increase 2 every time and then 4 per row on the odd row 9 repeats.  Took me ages to work out I'm knitting from the base of the back up to the neck so it's only going to grow wider and wider til I'm done :o  I thought I was starting at one end and increasing to the midpoint and then decreasing again - funny how seeing what it is you're doing, and knowing where it's going, makes a difference ::)

My fingers are sore tho - I've been pulling weeds in the orchard and knitting in between, for breaks, but it's all fingers ::)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2014, 11:49:40 pm »
Ellie, repeat after me, "My name is Ellie and I am a knit-a-holic." Well done on your progress and for choosing your next project.

Ina, If you're looking to rehome any knitted socks, I would love some. I find knitting with thinner needles difficult. I can send some wool to you or pay for what you do.

I'm knitting a bag for felting atm. It's a lovely pattern in pure wool in shades of brown. It'll be the second one I've made. Must take photos.

BTW, my name is Lesley and I am a knit-a-holic. Anyone else?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2014, 07:38:03 am »
My name is Louise and I am also a knitaholic!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2014, 10:12:13 am »
MGM, is the bag pattern relatively straightforward?  I reckon a bag would meet my criteria about size and shape being marginally less of an issue than sleeves or gloves or socks.. and felting the result might improve it significantly ;)

Someone suggested I look up ravelry website for free patterns and ideas, personally I think that might be dangerous :o
Ellie Douglas Therapist

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2014, 12:31:42 pm »
Someone suggested I look up ravelry website for free patterns and ideas, personally I think that might be dangerous :o

It is a good idea.  And dangerous too, yes  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS