Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help is my sow pregnant or not?????  (Read 4960 times)

Gazza

• Joined Oct 2009
Help is my sow pregnant or not?????
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »
Hi
I've kept weaners for the ast couple of years and have now been able to go up a league and breed and farrow my own!!
So I bought a lovely year old saddleback in pig, I'm not sure she is though as her rear end was bright red the other day 2 days later she is back to normal no colour. Can someone please help?

KInd regards

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Help is my sow pregnant or not?????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:10 pm »
Do you know how far gone she is surposed to be? Is the breeder someone your in contact with?

Gazza

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »
she should be 5 weeks now, she spent 4 weeks with the boar and the chap that sold me her only lives 5 miles away so I could speak with him, But I thought rather than look daft if theres no problem i'd ask here first.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:40 am »
From the information you have it's difficult to say, she may well be in pigs but 5 weeks is very being a gilt she may not start to look pregnant untill very late on. Keep a close eye on her and if in 3 weeks time she starts to show sign's heat then she could well not be in pig.
Was there a change in her behaviour when yon noticed her vulva was swollen?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:20 am »
My sow 'looks' different around the time of heat although she is pregnant at the time, but 5 weeks is early to tell, how did the breeder confirm she was in pig? or did he assume as she'd been covered?

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:44:38 am »
Hello Gazza

It could be that your sow is not pregnant at all - sometimes they will come back into season 21 days after being with the boar, and you have to mate them again as soon as possible.

If she is in pig, it will be 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days before she gives birth - so note the week you got her, and project forward for a good idea of when she will be due.

Hope this helps - good luck with the pig breeding

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Gazza

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:34:37 am »
From the information you have it's difficult to say, she may well be in pigs but 5 weeks is very being a gilt she may not start to look pregnant untill very late on. Keep a close eye on her and if in 3 weeks time she starts to show sign's heat then she could well not be in pig.
Was there a change in her behaviour when yon noticed her vulva was swollen?

There was no change at all which I thought was odd there was just the swollen vulva

Gazza

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 10:37:51 am »
My sow 'looks' different around the time of heat although she is pregnant at the time, but 5 weeks is early to tell, how did the breeder confirm she was in pig? or did he assume as she'd been covered?

He just assumed she was in pig as she'd spent alot of time with the boar.

Gazza

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »
Hi
Thanks to everyone that wrote i've spoke to the chap i bought her from and he says i can take her back to the boar if im in any doubt so im just gonna give it a couple of weeks to see if she comes back to heat.

thanks for all your kind help
kind Regards Gazza

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:14:43 am »
Thought she had repeated.

Check her every day, and if you press on her back end and she stands still for you,
then she is ready to visit the boar for a few days, but this time make sure someone
has seen him serve her  ;D ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS