Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new member with a few questions  (Read 2406 times)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
new member with a few questions
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:11 pm »
Hi all, im Diane from Oldham in Lancashire, ive been a self employed pet sitter for five years now, and have also bought myself  horse in the last 18 months, ( only a youngster ) Ive also just rented 2.5 acres of land locally, with a view to putting my horse on there when hes older,( not at the moment as houses are being built nearby )
I want to use this land in the meantime and have negotiated with a lady to buy 6 Kune Kune pigs I should be picking them up saturday 31st October,
I will ask a couple of questions now but may also put them elsewhere on this forum
I have a holding number but do I need anything else (movement licence)?
as pet pigs do they have to have ear tags?
can pigs be microchipped?
if the lady doesn't have the paperwork registration documents can i still pick them up ( my herd number is on the way )
thanks in advance for any advice
Diane
Since I posted ive found out the lady has all the paperwork so that's one problem solved
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: new member with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »
Diane

You will need both your CPH number (from RPA) and your Herd No. from the local Animal health Office but for the Movement Licence you only need to record the CPH no. on the Movement Licence (AML) which the vendor should provide you with when you collect your pigs. You will need AMLs of your own which you get from Trading Standards (via your local council) and a Movement Record Book and a Medicines Register.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »
And yes they need ear tags, and can be microchipped - ask your vet.

What are you getting?  Girls, boys, i mean!
I've got kunes, theyre brilliant, full of life and mischief.        Post some pictures when you get them, and hope all goes to plan
Little Blue

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:27:23 am »
Bear in mind that microchips migrate around the body which means that they are unsuitable for any animal going for meat.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:03 am »
They dont need tags unless they are being moved over a year old, otherwise a temporary mark will suffice.

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 12:14:39 pm »
thanks so much you are all very helpful, ive got my cph and herd number on the way the vendor has the papers needed to mave them,
Ill post pictures as soon as I can
thanks again im sure ill need more help and advice as I go along
Diane
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS