Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have you had fly strike this year?  (Read 9097 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Have you had fly strike this year?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 01:30:20 pm »
1 wether struck in April.   We are midlands but more towards west so I've clicked the west on the poll  ;)  Shearer hopefully coming on Monday.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 05:39:42 pm »
Sorry I ticked poll wales, but havnt had so far..... I have one tonight with a lot of flies on her, but no smell or other evidence... They must be laying though so will shear her and crovect ( again ) in the morning :-(

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 06:54:17 pm »
Strike that, pardon the pun....as soon as I typed it, went to shear her and sure enough maggots all down tail :-(. Sorted, but really mad that I still can't spot it/smell it . Just about to reach into skin so just in time. Liberal crovect. One half sheared sheep (back wouldn't finish the job tonight... But pretty confident it is just tail

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »
4 had it this year so far but lambed late n dnt like to crovect until lamb's a week old but won't lamb this late again!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »
Nothing last year but this year very muggy every day so far    2ewes small foot strike    2 ewes  small tail strike (late may lambers  )       2  very young lambs  small strike yellow poo bum    1 strong lamb small strike on stomach side    all ok                       PLEASE remember guys that crovect is a nerve toxin and liberally applying it to stike on a small lamb can actually make it very sick or kill it

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »
Nothing last year but this year very muggy every day so far    2ewes small foot strike    2 ewes  small tail strike (late may lambers  )       2  very young lambs  small strike yellow poo bum    1 strong lamb small strike on stomach side    all ok                       PLEASE remember guys that crovect is a nerve toxin and liberally applying it to stike on a small lamb can actually make it very sick or kill it
Just for future reference (tonight's was a massive ewe, so hopefully ok there)... Is there an alternative for small lambs?  Can you tell more about foot strike... I've got a couple of limpers but can't see anything... Wonder if I'm looking hard enough - is it usually right deep in the cleft or more obvious? Cheers

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 07:54:42 pm »
You can use a glove to move and rub  a small amount of crovect over a large area .       foot strike is easy to spot maggots in between the cleets and in any rotten bits

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:07 am »
Sorry- I ticked North England before realising that I shouldn't have if we haven't had flystrike!
Anyway, no flystrike so far. I have a vey small, very friendly flock so have been spraying weekly with Barrier Blowfly Repel. Shearing this week :-)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:05 am »
Yes a little.  We ve found that the no tail ones have been the ones with a problem, ewes that were here when we got here, they ve been docked too shot so no real control of they're stump. 

To be honest I've been doing a lot of reading as to crovect v click and were going down the clic avenue.  Longer coverage, mutation to mouth parts of the maggots, and still have crovect here in case we find strike. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:02 pm »
All the strike cases that I've heard of this year have been on clean sheep, like on the top of the back or shoulders ... bad humidity this year, sudden rain then warmth.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »
Touch wood none yet with my tame lamb flock but pretty vigilent for it and crovect religiously until end of summer.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
I've dealt with several cases of strike this year, some very early (West Wales area) must be a month ago, all were struck on or under the tail.
Of my own all were long tailed Beulahs, for other people: one very short docked Ryeland ewe and a long tailed Ryeland lamb, one long docked Lleyn ewe, one normal length docked and dagged Pedigree Beltex. The funny tail lengths seem seriously over represented compared to the standard docked numbers among them which were not struck.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:02 pm »
All the strike cases that I've heard of this year have been on clean sheep, like on the top of the back or shoulders ... bad humidity this year, sudden rain then warmth.

Yep, mine was between shoulders 

had them sheared today, not one maggot under those long fleeces  :relief:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 12:28:29 am »
bugger! just found a ewe with it on her back, she had a touch last year too so wonder if she is particular prone? anyway that's them all crovect and she has had a good strim, Dettol and crovect she looks relieved tonight to be rid of her visitors!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 07:36:00 am »
Yea I lost a ewe to flystrike the other day, I was so busy with gardening and other animals I must have missed her, so..... very sad. I had a few more have flystrike and yesterday we sheared them all, so they'll be good now. :relief:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS