Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have you had fly strike this year?  (Read 9080 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Have you had fly strike this year?
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
Quite a few have already had fly strike this year and I thought it would be interesting to see if it was more prone in one location than another. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mcd

• Joined May 2014
Re: Have you had fly strike this year?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:48:54 pm »
I have had a constant battle this year. Hoggs before they were shorn and lambs every week ATM. One bad one last night. Can't wait till Monday, we'll crovect the lot! Some are near the Somerset levels . is this low ground a factor?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:03:28 pm »
In mid-Wales at about 700ft above sea level. No problems so far butt we have been rigorous about trimming tails and bottoms since April.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:22:23 pm »
Nothing here - touch wood!
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:27 pm »
Up here in Fife no strike this year so far. :fc:

Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:47 pm »
Caught it early enough as I got the shearer in first week of May! I am on the levels in Somerset

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:03 pm »
None here but shearer came 23rd May and I have been very vigilant with watching the lambs for any signs.  Luckily all of them have very clean back ends and as their 2nd vaccination is due this weekend they will be sprayed with Crovect at the same time.  There are quite a few large flock farmers around this area that have had it on both ewes and lambs though and some had it from mid May onwards. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »

Ask me again once the whole lot are shorn  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »
Sally, I'm not sure what the poll tells me - is everyone putting their location in whether or not they've had strike, or only clicking on their location if they have had strike?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:56:29 pm »
we're Herefordshire but on welsh border, 1 lamb with early fly strike.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 10:42:04 pm »
none so far  :fc:  ; sheared the shetland today as it's turned properly warm; the other ewes and the lambs are easycare and one or two are still bald enough for me to be worrying about sunburn more than strike - though one ewe has a persistently mucky bum. 700' up in sw wales. I'm assuming you only put your location in if positive for strike?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 10:54:37 pm »
Whoops .... glass of red in hand .... I've clicked 'Wales' but now thinking that I shouldn't have clicked unless I'd had strike. SORRY.

Went to get more Crovect from local agri store this afternoon .... before the glass of red .... . Was told that a bad year is predicted due to mild winter and now warm and wet conditions. Much better for the flies than the last 3 years.  :o

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 07:19:51 am »
I've only got 13 (including lambs) all Wilts Horns which "dont get flystrike" but I have had two cases. i'm a novice so might have been slow to recognise the first case. Looks like we are going to lose her. She was badly struck on her back (no fleece but looks like she had scraped her back and broken the skin. Managed to clean out the very deep maggots and used Crovect. She seemed fine but two days later went down. Her back legs seem to be paralysed. No infection that I can see and she is eating but no improvement in a week  :(

Second case was around the horn. That's cleared up nicely although the horn got knocked off when she panicked as I brought her in. I've had a rubbish novice year, hope it improves next year!

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 12:32:32 pm »
Hands up to it  here in Gloucester. Had 1 case a couple of weeks ago in my Shropshires so sheared the one and crovected the rest. Another 1 case in my other mixed flock so again treated all and sheared the one. This morning I have sheared the mixed flock, those that arent Wilts Horns that is!!! Remembered why I bought the Wilts Horns whilst having a coffee break. Off to get the Shropshires in next for there wolly hair cut!!!   

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
This is only my first summer with my small Soay flock and I already had 3 animals struck in the last 2 weeks (2 very young lambs and a just lambed ewe). I think I caught them all soon enough, they have all been cleaned up and seem to be recovering well, but I know the summer has only just started...
They all seem to be shedding to a different schedule, the males lost all their fleece weeks ago, the two shearling ewes are getting there, while the 3 older ones have quite started yet...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS