Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haggis anyone?  (Read 9205 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Haggis anyone?
« on: October 23, 2009, 04:35:16 pm »
Having just butchered 6 lambs, we're going to have a go at this.  My recipe says "Cook the tops".  I am assuming that we boil them as I also need stock but can anyone confirm this please?

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Haggis anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »
Yes cook the plucks and then mince them. Tetain the water that you cook them in, (we used to call it the bree) then add that to the mix instead of water.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »
Thanks Andrew.  Well, we now have 3 2lb and 8 1lb haggis boiling on the stove.  At least it takes my mind of missing cattle!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:54:01 pm »
yuck

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:01:36 pm »
yuck
So you're a renegade are you Paul? ;)  or are you English? ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »
yup english. the joke was i liked haggis until we got our first sheep back. now i have no ploblem with heart liver kidneys and whatever the lungs however are very off putting. being english i do have issues with the scottish blackpudding. way to many spices a real bury pudding thats diffrent.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 01:06:42 pm »
Paul, you should try stornoway black pudding, it's not as spicy as some others and is similar to the Bury puddings I've tasted but none of them come close to a good Haggis. Yummy!!!

Gordon.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:34 pm »
Stornoway Black Pudding is just the best!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:42:52 pm »
the joke is we can't get real black pudding just the cheap frying stuff. now fried black pud is fine but boiled is ten times better. i like haggis just now i see drained lungs. same with tongue love the taste but when your faced with a full tongue with taste buds. its off putting. wimpy i know

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »
I'm doing Burns Night tonight.  So, have the haggis that we made, but have no idea how long to cook it for (I usually do what it says on the label, but we forgot to put a label on it!!!)  Can anyone help? 

If you're interested, we're starting with smoked scottish salmon (smoked in our smoker), after the haggis, is Burns Burgundy Beef (ours of course) and finally, Cranachan, made with raspberries that I rescued from the pig food we're given by the local green grocers!  All washed down with copious samples of whisky.........  Anyone know any good hangover cures?

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:11:32 pm »
Sound delish MrsJ. Can we come?  ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 09:08:25 pm »
Yum yum

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
I went to a (belated) Burns Night supper on Thursday and instead of the traditional Haggis we were treated to Haggis Samosas. They certainly took my mind off the contents. I'm a little squeamish when it comes to Offal.

sandy

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 03:19:41 pm »
I love Haggis but do not like to know what is in it!! mind you, I would still eat it, love Black pudding too yummmmy

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »
I was brought up on black pudding, haggis, white pudding, heart, liver, kidneys, rabbits & ducks shot on the canal.  My dad ate some real strange meals when I was younger. I eat the same stuff now lol.   I have never had a home made haggis, always one from the supermarket. I am pretty new to all this, but will hopefully have pigs, chickens, ducks, geese & maybe more before too long. I take hare, rabbit, pheasant, partridge & even the odd deer where I live & my freezer is always full of things made with them.  People eat with their mind instead of taste. They don't know what their missing :)
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS