Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying in France  (Read 8228 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Buying in France
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:20:21 pm »
Looking on the members map, there are few members in France.  How did you guy get on with buying a property over there.  Any better web site to look for?  Ros :cat: :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Buying in France
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:25:51 pm »
Property in France used to be very cheap compared to here but it has crept up considerably.  John (2nd husband) and I often thought of moving there as I have French dogs, but we couldn't agree on where - he wanted the Pyrenees as he was a Mountain Leader, I wanted the North coast near a ferry port or the rail link so I could still do the shows and trials over here.  We never did actually do it.  We were advised at that time - about 10 years ago -  you need to put down a 10% deposit as soon as you offer (non returnable) and that you should allow at least 10% above the offer price for fees/costs etc.  Does that still apply?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »
New Beginnings - I did mean to plant a seed - there's always other ways to live.

I left the UK after a lot of problems and stress - 15 years ago

Never looked back since

Love it here in Ireland - my daughter has a wonderful life
compared to my childhood.

A seed planted - its worth a look around, but France to me would
be hard because I cannot speak french and am useless at Languages

There are a lot of English speaking countries too, Ireland, Wales,
England, America, Malta, New Zealand and Australia if you really want
distance from the past  ;D ;D ;D  but r+lchick - keep all your options
open, but listen to you heart girl  all the best, and talk to that boyfriend
of yours about how you feel too, cause you are important part of his life.
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:37:19 pm »
we bought in Bulgaria & love it here its much cheaper than France ,its a lovely climate warm in spring & autumn, hot in summer & real snow in winter, the language is hard but the people are realy friendly & a lot of them speak some english, most houses have 2000m2 gardens & the grazing land is free for all residents to use, & there arnt many EU rules yet.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:51:05 pm »
Its very easy, prices vary enormously from road to road, region to region.  A good starter site is Anglo Info - they have regional sites.  Its not unusual for a house to be on the agents books for a couple of years (so I am told) and I read that it is the norm to offer around 20% less than the asking price and as dogandjo says allow around 10% for the fees. 

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:42 pm »
One of our options is that he sells is house, leaving him without a mortgage to pay.  We then pay off my house as quick as possible.  We could then buy a place outright with his proffit and mine.  (Sounds good on paper)  He is a teacher by trade (tertiary education special needs) and so very patient (honest).  I already come from Australia (been here 24 years, lost the accent you see that's why you can't tell) and we have so many tapes on learning to speak French, German and every language under the sun.  This guy is 52 and the first time he has been outside this country is when I took him to Paris for a day (Euroshuttle).  Never had the time or the money (ex kept him broke).  I really think he would love to work in a different country and speak a new language.  This is an option.  Will need to think about this one.  Will keep you all posted.  If we do, I expect holiday visitors.  Ros  :cat: :chook:  Roxy - I could have my goats then.

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:17 am »
Its worth looking into Bulgaria if you want to move abroad a few people I know have moved here from Spain & France ,& prices are really low at the moment, theres a big house 12 rooms 2000Msq garden for sale accross the road from ours for 7000lev thats about 3500pounds it needs work but all easy enough to do,

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:54 pm »
My dad and stepmother live in France - they used to drive about until and ask people until they arrived somewhere that just felt right and the owner of the place they were staying told them about a semi derelict cottage that could possibly be for sale. They were introduced to the landowner and the mayor and it all just fell into place.
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 07:17:10 am »
First step in French rural life - know the mayor after which anything (well almost) is possible

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:02:57 am »
Well guys if you have seen my other post, we are going for it.  But we have to wait and get some money behind us as we don't want to go over with a mortgage.  So my French Accidental Smallholders, may I contact you with a list full of questions as long as your arm?  I don't think the forum could take the amout of questions I have.  At the end I could summarise it all and post it separately, if anyone wishes the information. As we are both catholics (very sliped) we thought going to church would be a good way of getting our face noticed. (First time a religion has done some good - but we won't get into that discussion) Ros :cat: :chook:

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:01 am »
Well done Ros - so pleased that you have considered all the options
and plan to get out of the life thats not working for you both - Well done
and good luck and lotsa love - Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »
Hi ask away. 

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 03:51:17 pm »
Guys, may have hit a snag.  Inheritence Law in France. Got it from the site Mr Ree sent me. www.angloinfo.com.  By law, the kids are entitled to a 1/3 of his estate no matter what he puts in his will and if I wanted to sell, it could get messy.  Will have to look into this a lot more.  Ros

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 10:03:40 pm »
My brother and I looked into this for our folks. We encouraged them to have the house deeds just in my step mothers name. So my dad doesn't own it but then she has security. He doesn't care about ownership anyway and we are not interested in inheritance.
Simon and I formed a family trust to hold property for each other until we're both buried. So with a good lawyer you probably have a few options.
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 07:02:02 am »
Hi, it can be complicated.  There is a way to buy (tontine) where in the whole property reverts to the survivor when one partner dies.  Its possible to "gift" the property to who so ever you want as long as you are alive at the time.  The gifter has written into the agreement that they have the right to live in the property rent free for life.

You really need to get some proper legal advice.  Wait until you have found your property.  An awful lot can change in a year here, let alone 5.  Dont be put off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS