Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training Jack Russells  (Read 4284 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Training Jack Russells
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:10:45 pm »
It seems quite a few people here have JR's.  I have a 7 month old monster (he's gorgeous really) called Sprocket.  Sprocket has been going to puppy classes since 12 weeks and has changed from sitting shivering with fright, through disrupting the entire class to being comedy participant to ocasionally obedient (not often enough, but hey, it's progress of sorts!)  The only problem I seem to be having is that he seems to have forgotten the basic "sit" which is so weird.  He's quite happy to go down and stops etc but rarely sits.  Should I try again and again?  Any hints?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Training Jack Russells
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:03 pm »
Depends why you want him to sit?  If he goes down instantly on command that is actually better/safer than a sit - it's another step further away from running and the reason for the stop or down command is to make them stay where you want them to be in order to prevent them running across a road, or getting into any other sort of bother.  So unless you have some other reason for him to sit i shouldn't worry - so long as he goes down instantly
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:01:40 pm »
Thank you Doganjo!  The only reason I want him to sit really is because I look silly in class, and he looks silly when he lies down on a pavement before crossing the road!   ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:47:58 pm »
 ;D
At least he doesnt just cross! Sounds a lovely mischievous chappy... :dog:
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »
Thank you Doganjo!  The only reason I want him to sit really is because I look silly in class, and he looks silly when he lies down on a pavement before crossing the road!   ;D

well, I don't think he looks silly!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 12:22:45 am »
you might find that he just remembers again.
Training is very tiring for them and when the intense bit is over and you settle down to what you need each other to understand it may all click into place. Although I don't know about anyone else but my 2 still have their stubborn/naughty/ deaf times like when a pheasant lands in the garden.
Wish they could catch one or two.
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33:14 pm »
Yes, I have pheasants pointed out to me all the time (sorry :-[ - an HPR joke ;D ;D)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS