Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry Housing  (Read 5289 times)

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
Poultry Housing
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »
Hi all,

just completed on our 9 acres in North Worcestershire so starting to move things forward. We are rehoming 6 ex bats in 3 weeks and need to buy a home for them. We have been advised to buy something that can house 8 birds so they can get used to space.

2 questions please:

Do you buy new or 2nd hand
What is the best place around us to buy a coup (or shop on tinternet?)

Cheers,

Mark :chook: :dunce:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Poultry Housing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »
I bought a 6 ft x 4 ft garden shed from focus and put a board along one side for them to perch on as well as a couple of dowel rods about an inch in diameter across the corners.  I have an old drawer for a nesting box; vinyl on the floor larger than the shed so it turns up at the sides so catches all the poop.  Loads of straw on the floor and in the drawer.  We cut a pop hole in the door with a flap which come down for night-time. Nice and cosy for all my hens - 10 plus Jamie, full head height to stand up so no sore backs, and the plastic flooring makes it easy to pull out, tip into the compost bin and hose down.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »
You are not too far from us in south Worcestershire. We got our housing from the Domestic Fowl Trust in Honeybourne.  Not as cheap as building something yourself or buying second hand but they were very helpful.http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/  You could also try Newlands Grange who have been very helpful with other stuff.  We are sending our ewes there for tupping.  http://www.newlandgrange.com/page7.htm  they are near Malvern.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:18 am »
I bought my first hen house off the internet, so unseen. It was about £140 if I remember correctly and held up to 6 birds. When it arrived I was rather dissappointed by it, it was cheap wood smaller than I expected. The Pygmy goats decided they liked to climb on it and so after a very short time it started to become apparent that this one was not sturdy enough. Then, when we were at the Highland Show we noticed a company selling purpose built houses which looked solid and well built. We bought one that holds up to 12 birds, it was over £400, not cheap but a much better house. It has a shelter underneath for the birds to hide of wet (not that they often have the brains to use it?) and the goats do not go near it as it is much higher off the ground. We have now had the new house for a good few months and it has been money well spent.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »
Personally, I woudln't buy second hand wooden hen houses - you don't know what else you might be buying in.

We've got a good house from Gardencraft - the only down side is that I can't stand up straight in it which makes cleaning a wee bit awkward - but I'm 5'10". Otherwise we've has good resulte with Forsham Cottage Arks. The ark style is ideal if you have sheep or goats in the same field as the shape means they can't climb on top. Doesn't stop the greedy so and sos shoving in underneath to get at the chicken food though.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:37:22 pm »
I got my first hen house from flyte so fancy, great quality and I would highly recommend it.  Really easy to clean and will last for years.

I bought a cheaper one (but not too cheap) off ebay when I had a broody hen, and regretted it as soon as it arrived.  Not the quality, and was difficult to put together.  Even after just a few months it is falling apart already!

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

poppy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:34 am »
Hi,

I got my ducklings from The Domestic Fowl Trust, they have a good choice of coups as well. There is a place in the Clent Hills which maybe nearer to you. They are very helpful and can point you in the right direction for most things, they have a website - http://www.oakmeadowfarm.co.uk/home.htm

:)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:23:48 pm »
We converted a 6x4 shed for our hens, we got free out of a supermarket notice board, Try your free-adds or local classified, you never know what you might find,
 i wouldn't buy of ebay, my Gran bought one and it was well to put it bluntly s***, cost a bomb and fell apart after 3days of use, and the ebay seller was extremely rude about it and blamed her!
I feel that housing is one thing that you should go and look at before buying, you could try your local Woodcraft centre

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 10:24:32 pm »
After the experience I had this summer I would say, be very careful to check anything bought second hand for red mites. Definately NO NO NO to anything with a felt roof and err on the larger rather than smaller side. I bought a coop supposed to be big enough for 6 hens and I have 4 and I would be reluctant to introduce another 2 as I think it would be very tight. So beware of sizings given, and if possible see before you buy.
Hope this helps.

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:25:58 am »
 :)its not just old chicken houses that have red mite my daughter had a new fence put around her garden about two weeks later she phoned me to say her fence was covered with mite and the lady i brought my blackrocks from told me she had mite prior to having a single chicken on her property she had a brick built chicken shed with wooden doors and rafters just before her fist chickens arrived the mite came in she was told its rough sawn timber that attracts mite more than planned timber. i always paint any timber we build chicken houses from with creosote that keeps mite away fingers crossed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS