Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens & Rabbits  (Read 2582 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Chickens & Rabbits
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:17 pm »
Yesterday my mum received a phone call from my boss at the local dog Kennels, asking if we could take a chicken someone left in a box on her doorstep,
Mum agreed, so we now have a small bantam hen that is not very old as it is still "peeping".
Because of its size we are not willing to stick it in with the other hens as they are all far to big and aggressive to newbies, also there is a very high danger of it being pushed off the perch and being terrorised by the rats!
It stayed the night in our spare bedroom in the the hen carrier but it is far to cramped,
would it be okay to put it in the rabbithutch (with the bunnies) with a large plant pot to get up out of the  way??   :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
Depends on the size of the hutch.  If it's a fairly big one I can't see a problem with that.  Sounds like it's a fair height if you can put a plant pot in it and still room for the chicken on top.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:42:11 pm »
it's 6foot long by 2feet wide and 2feet tall,
Are there any diseases that can be caught by the rabbits from the chick and vice versa?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:21 pm »
My chooks run around a paddock with my rabbit and they all get on ok. Ok they do not share a room for the night but I don't see a problem Cameron.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »
Are there any diseases that can be caught by the rabbits from the chick and vice versa?

Don't think so.  So long as the chick is too big to be attacked by the bunnies.  They might not like sharing their run with a bird ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »

Crumbs! If it's that big, I should think it can probably fend for itself!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:22:54 pm »
That's about the size of my desk on short legs ;D  Not that big really

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »
no i  don't suppose it's massive, but the bunnies are only young and the chick is absolutely tiny, so they all fit nicely
 I have no idea what breed it is wether it's male female, it's about 5inches tall with a yellowy/orange crop, RIR orange colour with dark penciled effect, with grey feathered feat? any guesses, I'll post a pic once the wether fairs up

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS