Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bedding/Ground surface questions  (Read 1744 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Bedding/Ground surface questions
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:20 am »
We still have a few hundred bales of hay in the hay barn, think i read someplace it's not ideal as bedding for sheep, think it was something to do with it getting wet?

Also we have a none moveable field shelter that is getting badly poached and not drying out underfoot. Concreting not possible at this stage - any ideas for a suitable surface we could put down?

Thanks in advance.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Bedding/Ground surface questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:09:04 am »
Can't help with the hay but our field shelter, also fixed, has type one with rubber matting on top. It's worked well so far but it's only been down a couple of seasons. And it wasn't cheap - type 1, sand, mats.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:47 am »
Type 1 is Small/Medium gravel?

I might have asked this in the nick of time, we just happen to have a vehicle full of partially ripped rubber matting which was taken out of the horses boxes last week, firm spongey type though - was about to get rid of it but if that could be used, good idea. Could give it a blast with the jet wash first.

Do you put anything on top of the matting?

Have a few ton of sand here too but was hesitant to use that as might cause a nuisance in the fleece? Especially if matting moved, which is likely with our lot.

Used a load of sand in a muddy chicken area and it worked well there drying the ground up, would be great if we could put some down around the outer area of the pen, but the sheep do lay there sometimes.

? ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:42 am »
No idea what kind of type 1 - quite big stone, packed, then a layer of sand to level out the bumps then the mats on top. If yje sheep are usung it in winter, I straw bed it. In summer, I haven't put any bedding down and just clean it out every couple of days.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:39:28 pm »
Old conveyer belt (lot of quarries around here).  Lot thicker than horse mats.  Also handy for flaps for stiles, keeping rain off padlocks, runways up muck heaps, and lots of other stuff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS