Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep halters  (Read 1310 times)

Meh!

• Joined Jul 2010
  • West Lothian
Sheep halters
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:51:34 pm »
can anyone reccomend descend haters. I bought a few good quality rope show hatters mainly to aid getting woollies back and forth along the farm road to the field in which they reside. I seemed to put it on right but there just doesn't seem to be enough depth behind the ears and down the back of the neck (texel crosses) to allow the halter to stay in place and the muzzle piece just falls off. Emergency lasso nearly resulting in strangulation of a very fed up sheep. have tried several times with same result on all of them.
Would a small pony webbing halter work? it needs something connecting the front and back under and over the jaw. I,m going to have to do this fairly often - like tonight when they all escaped from the field cos someone opened the gate... >:(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sheep halters
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:25:45 pm »
Have a look at http://www.llugwy-farm.co.uk/tackroom/halters_sheep.asp

We use them for smaller sheep but I think there are ones to fit larger sheep, and ponies too.  They are webbing and so much more comfortable and easy to put on than rope halters.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS