Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ragwort  (Read 15987 times)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Ragwort
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 07:00:34 pm »
We use Depitox - we spot spray with knapsack sprayers at the end of May, and then go round before the mower, pulling anything that's come up or was missed on the walk round.

The Depitox is very effective - also kills nettles, thistles and docken etc. We don't want to blanket spray as we have a lot of clover and  species rich pastures.

We do 26 acres using this method - and the ragwort (and the other weeds) will start to die off the same day as spraying if conditions are right. We've been doing this for 3 years - before that we spot sprayed with Clinic Ace for a year. We think the ragwort infestation is getting smaller each year and I think we get better results with Depitox.

Sue

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »
of all of the above suggestions which chemical (that i don't need a license for) works best on docks as well as ragwort, I have some to sort for a client but don't have spraying certificates its mainly margains of fields and will be done with a backpack sprayer...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »
Ragwort-pulling weekend.  Our (organic) neighbours do this every year, big BBQ, camp fire to ceremonially burn the ragwort ;D .  Gloves and ragwort forks supplied.  Great time had by all and yes, the ragwort is diminishing :thumbsup: .  You def. do not want it in your hay.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:47 am »
We have tried spraying, pulling it up, digging it up for over 18 years now and every year I still need to spend a week getting rid of the stuff. Trouble is, my neighbours around me do not treat theirs so it just spreads. At least I know no one can say I leave it to spread. hate the stuff.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 04:06:22 pm »
I cleared an acre in a paddock I rented once.

I didn't know to wear gloves.  :o

If you are pulling them, wear gloves!!!
But did you actually feel any bad effects by not wearing gloves?
There is actually no properly documented evidence of people developing liver damage by skin contact with ragwort. You would have to pick up vaste amounts of toxin for it to be absorbed through the skin and cause any damage.
But most of the rumours of how ragwort affects humans are just that - publicised rumours and chinese whispers.
I'm not saying "don't wear gloves" - it's a matter of choice. Just thought I'd mention that if you actually research the subject you'll maybe come to the conclusion that they're not essential.  :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 04:15:48 pm »
A very effective spot spray for ragwort is - about 20% white distilled vinegar, a good dollop of salt, and good squeeze of washing up liquid, in water. I think the vinegar is the essential ingredient and the salt and washing up liquid just help, so you can experiment with them for quantity.
Anyway, spray the ragwort on a warm day when plants are dry and they will be withered by next day.
It will affect the grass as well, but not usually kill it where you get overspray, as the grass leaves have less surface area for uptake.
Rules are made:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »
I cleared an acre in a paddock I rented once.

I didn't know to wear gloves.  :o

If you are pulling them, wear gloves!!!
But did you actually feel any bad effects by not wearing gloves?

Yes, I felt truly terrible for days.  I don't think it can have been psychological, because I had no idea it might be bad for me.  I didn't go see a doctor.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 07:04:29 pm »
i feel ill after using weedkiller - i hate the stuff and im scared it will give me cancer or something like that. even with a face mask and gloves. barrier h was very lemony scented so if you can smell it through a mask, surely you are also inhaling it?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:47 pm »
The essential ingredient in Barrier H is actually citronella oil.
Rules are made:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 10:31:02 pm »
moving slightly adrift,

My wife says if you can smell the lemon in Gin & tonic then theres not enough gin  :thinking:

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »
Not saying for one minute you shouldn't wear gloves, but the toxic element contained in ragwort apparently is only activated following digestion! As far as I'm aware there is no proven scientific base to suggest absorption through the skin is harmful.

If you are pulling or digging mature ragwort, dispose of them quickly as if left, they can still go to seed. If burning, the updraught of the smoke can carry unburnt seeds over greater distances than windblown seed.
To prevent, dip the flower head in diesel before burning.

As I think has already been mentioned, dried ragwort in hay remains poisonous. If your selling hay to horse owners, you have a duty of care to ensure it is ragwort free.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
 Has no one tried a weed wand/wiper both light to carry and using cheap glyphosate at the rosette stage very fast since you only dab each plant and move on

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »
We pull by hand and it is getting less each year. The only exception is if I open a ditch or disturb the ground in any way there will be loads in that area next year. I was told the seeds can lie dormant for up to 20 years .

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »
using cheap glyphosate

so what is this called? the cheapest i can get is clinic ace and that is more than £60 a bottle undiluted.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 06:23:35 pm »
Depends on your buying power  we buy  5x20lts   RODEO @ £70 +vat per 20lt  .    AGRIGEM are selling  clinic ace   for   about £80 +vat per 20lt plus free delivery
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:32:19 pm by shep53 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS