Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ragwort  (Read 15988 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Ragwort
« on: June 04, 2014, 03:27:06 pm »
Can someone recommend a product that I can spray (not spot spray) the whole field with.

Thanks

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Ragwort
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »
http://www.progreen.co.uk/weed-killers/selectively-control-weeds-in-grass/weedkillers-for-paddocks/cat_28.html
I am using Thrust in a knapsack sprayer, or if you do not have much glyphosate but it will kill the grass around as well

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »
Thanks
Is it working well ?

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »
If you're looking at doing a complete field, then glyphosate.
Be warned though, if your intention is to plough and reseed, you could well disturb ragwort seed that in effect, has lain dormant for years. Once the ground is disturbed, these seeds may suddenly burst forth and bloom.

New individual rosettes can be successfully treated with Barrier H.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:56:38 pm »
barrier h was really expensive when we used it. we use clinic ace diluted but it kills the grass leaving buried seeds to grow without competition.
has anyone used a dye to add to the weedkiller? im thinking of using a weepwipe but im wondering if there is a backpack adapter.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
Hi All

Why use chemicals?

Why not use a ragwort fork, a pair of gloves and a wheelbarrow. Dig the blighters up, dry them out and burn them before they can set seed.

Minimal disturbance to soil, no dead grass, peaceful couple of hours out in the fields.

I spent happy hours on our local riding school's fields "pulling the ragwort"

SV

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 11:58:35 am »
Hi All

Why use chemicals?

Why not use a ragwort fork, a pair of gloves and a wheelbarrow. Dig the blighters up, dry them out and burn them before they can set seed.

Minimal disturbance to soil, no dead grass, peaceful couple of hours out in the fields.

I spent happy hours on our local riding school's fields "pulling the ragwort"

SV

Flippin heck, like we haven't got a million and one jobs to do, I'd guess 500 plants, some of them are getting flower heads on so I have started pulling the larger ones up, have a couple of sacks lying around so throw them in there ready for the fire.
By the time I go and fetch some weedkiller I could probably pull 50% of them.
May lose a lb or two as well.
Could invite people round for cider and ragwort pulling  :excited:

Anyone up for cider & ragwort Friday night, South Devon  :fc:

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
Hi Andy

That sounds like a really good idea, a "ragwort bashing social", wish we lived in South Devon, I'd bring some of my homebrew cider and join you.

My job used to get me stressed out of my tiny, time spent bashing Alf's Ragwort, no mobile phone, no stress, sun on my back, nature round me was a drugfree treatment. I leart so much about the the social/heirarchical side of horses, fascinatingly they know when you are ill without you saying a word.

Get the blighters before they flower!!!!!!

SV

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »
A hill farm I used to work for - and which was definitely not at all organically inclined - still used the pulling method... They knew from experience that none of the chemicals really worked in the long run on this particular weed.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:52:43 pm »
I spent two weeks helping to pull the damn stuff out of my neighbours field.  Got RSI and very little thanks.  It is damn hard work - and it was about 4 acres full of the stuff!  Had some in my field, but I invested in a ragwort fork which also deals with the thistles - well worth it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »
I cleared an acre in a paddock I rented once.

I didn't know to wear gloves.  :o

If you are pulling them, wear gloves!!!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
Hi Greenerlife

I wouldn't consider it without a regwort fork

Sally you must wear glove, ragwort contains a liver toxin.

SV

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:06 pm »

Sally you must wear glove, ragwort contains a liver toxin.

Uh, yeah, I know that now ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:02 pm »
Hi Sally

Better now than never

The problem with Ragwort is that the toxin remains even when the ragwort dries out, so that ragwort in hay is damaging to livestock. Livestock won't touch it when it is green as it has a very bitter taste but this goes on drying.

SV

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
We have a ragwort fork too. Luckily we don't have a big problem though and it seems to be getting less as we dig up each year  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS