Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling Eggs  (Read 6604 times)

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Selling Eggs
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering what people charge for half dozen eggs.  I have blue egg layers and brown and they are free ranging. 

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Selling Eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:11:18 pm »
our boxes are 2 maran (dark brown) 2 Legbar (greenish) 2 normal beige eggs we get 1.50 for 6, we only sell to the staff at Mrs B.s office currently.

If current planned move goes ahead we will be expanding the flock as its in a good location for roadside sales, we will then review pricing based  on what we can sustain.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »
We charge £1 for 6 which I suspect is quite cheap.  Some charge £1.50.  We have a lot of local campers and holiday makers buying ours and sometimes it is hard to keep up with demand - one thing though, if for example you may have holiday makers put a notice up saying no euros/foreign currency please, if you don't want foreign money!   :chook:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »
I buy them from a nearby farm with an honesty box £1.00 for 6. Must be in short supply because today's box had a small pullet's egg and a duck egg to compensate!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:50 pm »
I charge £1.30/half dozen for chicken eggs and £1.50 for the duck eggs. It's above average price around here but still falls short of covering costs so I see it as a happy medium (and much better value that supermarket prices for the same quality). Mind you, I'm finding it really hard to shift the duck eggs. I've got about 9 dozen backlog at the moment (they lay so consistently compared with the chickens too). I don't think that's price related though - just most people don't even want to try them.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:25:58 pm »
I charge £1.50 for six and my customers can't get enough. Mind you - I am bringing them from us in the country to mostly urban dwellers at work.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:41:19 pm »
we sell ours at £1.50 for 6 hens eggs and £2 for 6 duck eggs, average price for our area and we sell out every week, have a waiting list for new orders!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 10:59:38 pm »
I sell our excess eggs  for £1 per half dozen at work. It pays for their feed and bedding plus we have our own eggs free.  Just cannot keep up with demand at work  :sunshine:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:46:47 am by Mammyshaz »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:00:39 am »
We used to grade ours and sell mediums at £1.30 and large at £1.60 for half a dozen (two years ago now). Our hens were Pedigrees, so only laid when the tourist market was there to buy them. If we had Hybrids we would have been unable to sell all the eggs at times.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:42:00 am »
£1.30 for 6  which pretty much pays for feed.
Anne

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:41 am »
 It depends on what the competition's like. I have several roadside outlets within about 5 miles so in order to keep them moving and avoid selling eggs have more than a week old, I price bantam's at £1 per doz, medium large fowl at £1.60 and large at £2. Big he green duck eggs are £2 per doz. Seems my eggs are a bargain!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:50:58 am »
£1.50 for large fowl and £1.20 for bantam size.  I don't grade other than that and mine are all free range too. 

That doesn't cover costs but I can't ask for more.  Local shop ranges from a bit less to a lot more depending on whether they're pushing sales or not.  There's also a local cat charity that sells for £1.20 because they have lots of hens, are donated feed by customers/supporters and have a high street shop plus a regular carboot slot.  Means I can't sell in the nearest large village and have just a few neighbours and a couple of friends that buy and I am often left with loads spare.  I usually have a freezer full of quiches which feed me several days of every week ;)  I did take my spare dozens to a carboot a couple of times, along with other stuff from my house, but given entry, table hire and fuel I might as well give away 7 dozen a week even tho they always sell out there, so I don't bother any more unless I have other stuff, a nice day and the will to stand and face the bargainhunting public for hours at a time..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:23:24 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for the input!! I agree Elllied standing at a boot fair and haggling is not a good way to spend the time!  I tried selling stuff but the cost involved getting there and entry let alone packing up all the goods before and after - not worth it!!  Haven't tried eggs though!!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:26:54 pm »
£1.20 for 6 although looking at this it looks like I need to put my prices up! Hybrids, good size eggs too.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:02 pm »
We sell all ours at the local market alongside our pork. Never going to make us rich but it's a nice add on. £1.50 a half doz hens or ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS