Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best fence in to keep me 4 dogs in?  (Read 2516 times)

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
  • Planning & preparation ,prevents,poor performance
Best fence in to keep me 4 dogs in?
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:56:44 am »
Hello every one just about to close the deal on our ideal home in the peaks, have 4 dogs who will have now 6 acres to roam free , bulldogge x3 and the boss a little jack Russell x cairn.. Stock fencing would be best? Just a bit worried they might be able to climb it? Any hints or tips would be appreciated

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Best fence in to keep me 4 dogs in?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:06:02 am »
Stock fencing keeps mine in - never had them climb it but they don't generally want to climb anyway - rather go under or over.  Mine isn't very taut so a wee bit wobbly, maybe that stops them.  never really thought about it..
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:25:51 am »
Thought it would be the cheapest way ,just want to have one area that me misses can let them roam when I am out at work without worry of them getting out and getting to any sheep as I know they would get shot as it's the farmers livelihood , at night when I am home will walk them the rest of land which I will get renewed stock fenced.. Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:24 am »
I hate barbed wire but would that stop them climbing over?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 12:16:33 pm »
Yep can't stand the stuff meself ... Got 8 cats as well who 3 of them come on the walk with us all feel like the pied piper...think going to go for the C8 for perimeter ...and post and rail for selected acre for dY time run? There a worry but the moves all about the animals...thanks :-)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 02:09:27 pm »
Don't use barbed wire!

My collies and retrievers have never climbed or jumped stock fencing.

I think post-and-rail would be more jumpable, as it's solid and you could land on the top of it.

You could always do 'double height' stock fencing for a smaller area, which could be all they would have access to when you're not around? I've done the 'double-height' fence for my garden and the goat paddocks, it was easy enough. The dogs can only get into the garden when I'm not there, they run in the larger area, with the ordinary stock fencing, when I'm about.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:12:35 pm by jaykay »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 03:08:04 pm »
Sorry but my dogs used to be unbothered by sheep mesh fencing.  The CairnxPatterdale would climb up it, then squeeze under the top wire (too old and ladylike now). We took off all the barbed wire having had a previous dog rip her belly open on the hateful stuff, but it wouldn't have stopped the current dog from climbing.  The Jack RusselxBorder Terrier used to fit through the squares of the mesh (too fat now).  Of course they need to want to escape and ours did because we had no rabbits on our land, but there were plenty on the other side of the fence  :bunny:  We also made sure there was nowhere under the fence or at gates where they could squeeze under.  We have double fenced just about all our land, with dense hedgerow between the two, which amongst other benefits stops the dogs seeing the rabbits.  We also have the odd burrow full of babies here now which they dig out and snack on.....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:10:01 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:34:36 pm »
all of our dogs either go under, through or over our stock fencing. electric works wonders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS