Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changes to the Dangerous Dogs act 13/5/14  (Read 5275 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Changes to the Dangerous Dogs act 13/5/14
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:11:40 pm »
https://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/changes-dangerous-dogs-act-advice-owners

Just saw this on Facebook, thought it might be of interest.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Changes to the Dangerous Dogs act 13/5/14
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:37 pm »
Thank you Plums ..... interesting.!

I am going to have to have words with mine. Puppy likes to bark and guard her patch. Big dog likes to jump up and kiss. I could be in trouble all round. Both might be deemed 'out of control'  :o I suppose. Alf knows that he shouldn't jump up but if people make a big fuss of him he gets so excited he finds it hard to contain himself.  ::)

On a serious note, a neighbour has been bitten twice in the last few weeks by different collies. Both have run out at her from different farms up here as she has walked along the lane. She is not a 'doggy' person and is now quite scared and nervous. She felt 'vulnerable' and said she didn't think it was just a rounding up nip but they were aggressive.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:00:20 pm »
Murphy jumps up  at people sometimes when they come into our house... the ambiguity of these laws make them slightly concerning really!
I notice there is no mention to loose dogs that regularly escape causing worry, injury or death to farm animals still....
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:47 pm »
so i need to make sure any burglar doesnt get bitten whilst hes in back garden? tut tut
on a plus side hopefully it make help to protect those kiddies that get mauled to death in their own/friends house?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:48:22 pm »
Some one breaks into my yard, and my guard dog nails them, or makes them feel threatened. . . . . and it's deemed dangerously out of control and can be seized an euthanised. . . . . got to love this country.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »
Looks like the only answer will be to terminate the visitor and claim you felt threatened and had to defend yourself?...

4 dogs

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Cheshire
  • Planning & preparation ,prevents,poor performance
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:37:30 pm »
The country has gone to the dogs....it's never bad dogs just bad owners

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 02:05:09 pm »
So I have to let the burglar come into the house, I can't let the dogs roam the gardens and prevent the burglar from getting that far?? For goodness sake! People could make the decision to stay out of other people's private property uninvited.

There was already legislation that dealt with dangerous dogs attacking people.

How long before some 'nervous but litigatious' person claims that they were terrified because a dog looked at them menacingly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:41 pm »
Years ago, at the premises of the family business, there was regularly trouble with break ins.  The factory was next to the railway line, they'd run along that, jump onto the roof, and in through the skylights. 

The works manager stuffed rolled up barbed wire into the chutes below the skylights, so the hoodlums would have to negotiate that if they broke through the glass windows.

The Police and the insurance company both told them to take these barriers down, that they were illegal, that any burglar harming him or herself on them would sue and would be awarded compensation.

So, this is a person who has already trespassed on your roof, then caused criminal damage to your skylight, forced entry, broken and entered ... and it is illegal, now he is inside your property illegally, to block his way with something that may cause him some harm.   :rant:

I genuinely do not understand this country sometimes.  ???

And, reading the above... how long before a burglar successfully sues the owner of a dog which bites a burglar who has already broken in and is now inside the house.  :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »
I have a new post lady who is frightened of dogs to the point that even though the dogs are behind four foot  fencing she will not go within 15 ft of them and the post box is 20 ft from the fence. Its not her fault she is frightened but you can not legislate how someone feels, she feels threatened although her fear is unfounded and I would not expect for her to deliver if the dogs any where near the post box. I think its better if we just collect the post from the PO imagine what a backlog that would cause.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 05:06:57 pm »
Maybe it's just me being a grumpy owd woman, but (I am resisting writing, "in my day", but I am thinking it  :D) surely to goodness, you wouldn't choose Postal Delivery Worker as a career if you were frightened of dogs? !!  In the same way as you wouldn't to into a career cleaning office windows if you are scared of heights, or become a nurse if you faint at the sight of blood, or, or, or...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 05:42:23 pm »
She says she has been bitten before, if they sacked her she would be able to claim compo. I do find it strange that she is still on deliveries in a rural area where most people have dogs, I would have thought they would have given her a job sorting.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 07:42:51 pm »
Well come onto my land, get bitten and I will say person attacked my dogs. I was told years ago that if you put up a sign saying beware of the dog then you are saying dog is dangerous. This country is a joke when it comes to crime.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »
most of our posties are great with dogs as they bring biscuits and feed them everytime - though it has taught the dogs to see the postie and charge towards them for their treat! there is one chap who wont leave his van if the dogs nearby.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 07:05:33 am »
Two of our postmen say hello to the dog by name and often spend a good 10 minutes chatting with me about dogs while cuddling murphy.  He's often outside with me when I'm with the animals or in the soap kitchen so he see's them arrive but won't run up to them once I've said to "stay", he waits till they come nearer and I say he can greet them.
However people coming in to see my mum (carers, district nurses) insist that its ok he jumps up and encourage him to  >:( despite me saying I'm breaking the habit. so if i see them arrive, i put him in another room.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS