Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir Costs  (Read 29002 times)

troyster

• Joined Nov 2007
Abattoir Costs
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:45:42 pm »
I understand that I cannot slaughter my own pigs, unless myself and my immediate family are the only ones who eat it. . . so I was wondering if anyone had experience in dealing with abattoirs and had any idea how much they would charge per pig (I have a grand total of 2 pigs, who would go to slaughter together). 

Thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Abattoir Costs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:20:27 pm »
Hi, there

We use a local abattoir and paid £23 per pig a couple of weeks ago to kill and deliver to the butcher. We paid £30 per pig to the butcher although half of one pig wasn't butchered but sold whole.

They did some moaning about the hair on Tamworths, though.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:28:07 am »
We can use the local commercial abattoir, 27.50 euros incl tax, (but loads of negotiating to get the pigs in as they dont like outdoor pigs) or the public abattoir 1 hours drive away for 45 euros, not sure of the exact cost in £s - the rate is 69 pence to a euro at present.

troyster

• Joined Nov 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:07:12 am »
That's excellent news - thanks.  I was expecting a much higher price. 

As you've both had pigs slaughtered, could you tell me if it is a complicated process with loads of paperwork and regulations?

thanks again - it's all very exciting.  I've kept chickens and bees for years, but I'd love to rent a field for cattle and pigs (and my chickents & bees), but it needs careful consideration. . .

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 02:12:53 pm »
I came on here to down stress after collecting piggies from abattoir this afternoon.  I always panic in case anything has gone wrong, especially when the freezer is as empty as it is now. 

To answer your question it should not be stressful nor full of paperwork.  We are in France I think though the rules are all the same.

We take the two pigs in a metal livestock trailer.  Just before they go we slap them with our holding number.  This worries me far more than it worries them.  This is a dangerous exercise whereupon the rest of the world keeps well away from the pig pen, as I am prone to covering absolutely everything with the tattoo ink. 

At the abattoir I unload them into the appropriate pen signified (mostly sign language) by the reception man.  I already have the paperwork prepared, this shows my name, address holding number and slap mark number and the number of pigs I am sending.  Top copy I keep they have the other 4.

Sometimes I have to sign a form, sometimes not.  It depends on how rushed the reception man is.  Pigs go off, quite happily.  (They wont let me go to the door with them), I wait till they tell me they are done (around 2 minutes). 

Five days later I take back top copy - pay - it varies but never more than 28 euros per pig.  Sign receipt take receipt to collecton area where a cheerful man always drops them in the boot.  I cover them with ice packs and polythene and deliver to butcher.

Two suggestons from mine and others experience: 

DO NOT feed them more than a handful of breakfast on slaughter day.  If possible reduce the previous nights dinner by at least half.

On collection check the slap number of your pig that it is yours.

Dont worry its easy. 

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:12:36 am »
I'd second what Hilarysmum says - it's not very different here in the UK.

Before taking the pigs to the abattoir you'll need to complete a movement license, we've got a copy of the form in Word and just run off two copies. One is left at the abattoir, the other sent to your local DEFRA or SEERAD animal welfare office within 3-4 days of movement (can't remember precisely, it's all on the form).

There's a page on TAS about taking them to slaughter - and like it says the most stressful part is having your reversing skills appraised by a gaggle of farmer types!

If you can then feed the pigs in the trailer for a couple of days before they are due to go - it makes loading them so much easier.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 04:57:41 pm »
Troyster, p l e a s e  post on here to let us know what you decide and how it all goes.  Thanks.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:09 pm »
price over here the north of ireland £15.50

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:01:15 am »
Well Relic, What can I say, except feck feck feck. It's €20 here. How much does it cost to butcher in the North?

Morgan

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 06:40:08 am »
Just wondering which abbattoir you go to hilarys mum only we go to saint hilaire and I paid 112€ for two pigs to be slaughtered.  I took them and collected them in 4 days.  They are just cut in two nothing else.

If I have them to sell they are vacuum wrapped and cost around 1.68 € per kilo.

It all seems very expensive after reading the posts on here.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 08:24:29 am »
I use the huge commercial abattoir in Moreac, (56) Bernard (aka Jean Floch). Yours sounds exorbitant.  Try pming PigsatlesRues - Kate lives in your area she should know of a commercial abattoir near you, or ask for a list from your local Dept. Vetinaire or any large pig farmer.  The price you are quoting 112 euros was what we paid when we first started, a registered French butcher would collect the pigs, take to abattoir collect carcasses and butcher for that price.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 11:43:42 am »
to butcher its between 30-60 £ depending on what you want.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
I understand that I cannot slaughter my own pigs, unless myself and my immediate family are the only ones who eat it. . . so I was wondering if anyone had experience in dealing with abattoirs and had any idea how much they would charge per pig (I have a grand total of 2 pigs, who would go to slaughter together). 

Thanks

We have been quoted £10 per head for transport and £55 per head for slaughter, which I think is way over the top but that is the way it is in North Scotland.
Pigtails

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »
im all for humane killing. starting to think shotgun to the head is the way forward. especially if the meat is for private consumption. my girlfriends aul fella was telling me the way they used to kill pigs. rope around their snout to hold them down and a sledge hammer.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 09:13:42 am »
Thats the humane way here, the others far worse are not for this site.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS