Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewes and tup together  (Read 1905 times)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
ewes and tup together
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »
Having just brought some Cotswold shearlings as luck would have it I have also aquired a cotswold ram. My question is can the tup go in with the ewes at this time of year or will I be expecting some lambs at odd times of the year? He does seem quite keen from the other side of the fence.
Any advice would be apprieciated

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: ewes and tup together
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:50 pm »
Hi, I don't no anything about your particular breed but I have put a Southdown in with lambed ewes, once the lambs were a reasonable size and they were OK. You will have to remove him before the ewes come into season which will depend on breed and where in a he country you are. If he's in a field next to them and has sight of them all the time he should be happy enough otherwise he may be lonely. I try to keep a castrate male in with mine for company, that works for me. :wave:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: ewes and tup together
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:51 pm »
My neighbour keeps her tup in with the ewes all year round - and she starts lambing around New Year.  So depending on breed and area, you may only have a couple of months before they come into season.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS