Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: zwartbles ram lamb over southdown ewes?  (Read 2353 times)

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
zwartbles ram lamb over southdown ewes?
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »
Ive been lurking on this great forum for quite a while, having started with sheep last year, and have found it incredibly helpful to read all the information from you knowledgeable people. Would be very grateful indeed for any input on my dilemma!

As my title suggests, has anyone tried this cross before? Opinions on whether its a good/bad/laughable idea? There would be just 2 ewes to cover, both of whom have lambed without problems before. I also have 3 shearling ryeland cross ewes who havent lambed before, Im guessing it would be better to use a smaller tup for their first time?

Any input much appreciated  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: zwartbles ram lamb over southdown ewes?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »
No I have never tried to cross them. However I have crossed Zwarbles with wenslydale/milksheep/friesland/Lleyn sheep before. The meat was some of the best meat I have ever tasted.
Good luck with it and I hope all goes well. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:27:02 pm »
Where are you?  We do Southdown ram hire.

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:07:50 am »
Thanks Marches Farmer but I have got a ryeland/icelandic tup lamb which I can use on my girls. I used this combination last year and produced lovely lambs.  Its just that I was given a zwartbles tup lamb and was wondering what sort of lambs would be produced from using him. Im in north Cambridgeshire btw so quite a way away from you in any case!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:57 am »
Go for it  :thumbsup: .  I've got purebreds and Xbreds and they cross fantastically with everything I've put them to.  Nice big carcase, fast growing and lean.   Perfect.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »
Thanks Blinkers, sounding good! Would you put him to shearling first timers (ryeland crosses) or would the lambs be a bit big for them do you think?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS